• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad IHS contact on new Opteorn 144?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerolus

Bad IHS contact on new Opteron 144?

Just got my new Opteron 144 CACJE 0602GPAW yesterday. Overclocked to 2.8GHz It's been working fine but gets a bit hot. Temperatures go up to 50c load in speedfan with 1.4v. With 1.5v it gets up to 55c, didn't push it any higher because of the heat :eh?:

My old opteron 146 got to 47c load MAX at 1.5v. The air blowing out the back of the shuttle heatsink felt almost hot so I could tell it was doing its job. On my opteron 144 at 1.5v the air blowing out the heatsink it just feels somewhat warm so I think the IHS might not be making the best of contact and thus heating up the CPU more?

Anyone else with a similar problem or a solution? I'd really like to push this cpu further to at least 3GHz

Last edited:
Did you try removing the heatsink, cleaning the cpu, reapplying proper amount of tpaste and reinstalling the HSF? Could be just a bad mount

Yeah mounted it twice and remounted my opty 146 just for consistancy. Used Ceramique on all installations. Same results all 3 times

Samething I'm wondering. My 146 reaches 60c w/1.475 :eek:. I'm debating on removing the IHS and applying AS5 or Ceramique and reattaching it.

I even get the same temps with a Big Typhoon and a Zalman CNPS7700-Cu.

Just noticed something, I think the temp sensor is wacked out on this CPU. Runs at 28c idle and as soon as I load something it'll instantly jump up to 45c. Are there any good physical thermometers to monitor the temp on my CPU? Also where should I place the probe if I manage to find one.

It is not wacked. It just reads the internal CPU diode. the core temperature raises almost immedeatly after load is applied, its just everyone is used to having the regular external mobo sensors which took a while to stabilize at the max load temp.

I have RMA’ed my 146, because was having same problem. I finally took it out of the case inspect the IHS w/ a magnifier and there it was. The edges were rough and dotted. Noticed a narrow black strip along 2 edges. it looked like as thu. the rubber seal(or whatever is used to seal it) was seeping (or bubbled)out.
For sure it was a defective production. maybe was a throw way to IHS barrel, but decided to use it anyway, when they ran out of good IHS's during the high demand.
Not me thanks, you can have this one.

I believe I have the same stepping as you. So ummm did you get this cpu at monarch? I believe I have bad IHS contact on my new opty 144 also. The middle doesn't really get touched with my thermal compound... anyone have any tips. Also how far did you get to oc your 144? I'm at 300x9 at 1.4V. What's the highest it can do on stock voltages and what's your max oc with volts?

Yeah I got this CPU from monarch. I have it running at 311 x 9 at 1.425v prime stable. I tested up to 1.5v but it didn't help my oc at all. Temps got a bit too high for my taste so I didn't try going higher.

alright. i'm getting the same problem as you. i get the same heat as you do. however, I'm running an xp-90 heatsink. ummm i believe i have bad ihs contact on it too because I put thermal compound on my cpu, and threw on my xp-90. I took it off later and only the outer edges of the cpu made contact with it. there were compound marks on the outside shape of the cpu on the xp-90, so anyone have any suggestions on this?

Back