• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Split Internet Connection Speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AIAlgorithm

Currently I am using ADSL Connection with Router modem "DSL-504T" and 2 computers are connected to this modem. My OS is Win XP prof SP2 and the other one is MAC OS.
Could anyone tell me how to split the connection speed between 2 computers into 1/2 or maybe limit the connection speed for each computer?

Buy a router with 4 port switch, unless your modem provides you with NAT, then just buy a switch. and hook your stuff up.

Smoothwall is a little overkill, for most users unless you like to tweak on a lot of stuff and don't mind spending an extra $30 a year on electricity, and if you like to tweak hardcore, I recommend PFSense as a firewall/ router, it is unix based (FreeBSD Release 6.0), and has every option known to man, is fully configurable, and has a ton of support. www.pfsense.com

fUzZ bUnNy said:
Buy a router with 4 port switch, unless your modem provides you with NAT, then just buy a switch. and hook your stuff up.

Smoothwall is a little overkill, for most users unless you like to tweak on a lot of stuff and don't mind spending an extra $30 a year on electricity, and if you like to tweak hardcore, I recommend PFSense as a firewall/ router, it is unix based (FreeBSD Release 6.0), and has every option known to man, is fully configurable, and has a ton of support. www.pfsense.com

That wouldn't really work for what he is trying to do.

You will need to find a router that supports QoS (Quality of Service). This feature lets you determine how much bandwidth is going to each host that is connected. Smoothwall is a good option if you happen to have an extra PC not doing anything. Otherwise some of the better quality consumer models will have a limited QoS capability.

I have never tried it myself, but from what I have read none of them really work especially well.

As far as I know of QoS will be the best you can do unless you are going to spend a lot of money on this. I can't think of an affordable home traffic shaping router. Sure if you want to go through the trouble of setting up an enterprise level network for your home it would be exactly what you want. But it is expensive, complicated, and takes up a lot of space.

Traffic shaping and QoS are the same thing. Traffic is shaped to achive QoS (quality of service). The best way is a Linux or *BSD router. It's also the cheapest.

well if you could find a cheap version 2.0-3.2 linksys wrt54g you could use modified firmware to do whatever you want. I currently have packets ordered in QOS based on priority by port and application as well as max bandwidth set for individual ports and wireless clients. I bought the router for 40 bucks and the hacked firmware is free. Thats would be the cheapest and easiest solution in my opinion. The firmware gives Cisco like control including many options that are well above my networking knowledge.

Back