• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to "lap" your CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DareDevil_747

Disabled
Ive been reading more about tweaking this stuff to run cooler, and I keep hearing the term "lapping". Most of the reviews ive read on my heatsink say that no lapping is needed, since the base is almost flawless, I can see myself in it.. well, I want to make my CPU flawless as well. What methods are best and what materials do you guys use? Hows the best way to be sure I make it perfectly flat so it mates with the HS perfectly? Is this a risky mod?
Thanx in advance for any info on this. :)

DareDevil_747 said:
Ive been reading more about tweaking this stuff to run cooler, and I keep hearing the term "lapping". Most of the reviews ive read on my heatsink say that no lapping is needed, since the base is almost flawless, I can see myself in it.. well, I want to make my CPU flawless as well. What methods are best and what materials do you guys use? Hows the best way to be sure I make it perfectly flat so it mates with the HS perfectly? Is this a risky mod?
Thanx in advance for any info on this. :)
http://easypckits.com/
But the best way is to take it to a machine shop that specializes in lapping.
I usually pay $50-100 for setup and $10-25 per part.
And, shiney doesn't count, only flat counts.
And it WILL void your warranty.

I think that it would be a risky mod for the simple reason that you would have to take the entire processor to an autimated filer, one wrong move and ur core will be slit in half. You could take the metal plate off which will take about 500 yards of dental floss and then file the metal plate but the tricky part would be putting it back on. On the contrary, why are you worried about ur HS making "perfect" contact with the CPU, when you have AS5 Thermal paste between the two surfaces?

billb said:
http://easypckits.com/
But the best way is to take it to a machine shop that specializes in lapping.
I usually pay $50-100 for setup and $10-25 per part.
And, shiney doesn't count, only flat counts.
And it WILL void your warranty.
Best lapping site ever. And it's true about shinyness not being important. My XP-90C was fairly shiny, but when I started lapping it, I found out that it was not at all flat. My CPU's IHS wasn't shiny, but it was equally un-flat.

Just order a lapping kit with glass from that site and follow the instructions that come with the kit.

There is a CPU lapping sticky in the Intel section..

and you can see if the bottom of your HS is flat by compairing it to a strait razor.

IMHO, you'd be better off taking off the IHS, even though its quite risky, if you take your time and do your research you will get to wreak the rewards! I popped the top off mine and it took 3C off of Idle, and 7C off of Load

Back