• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD's 4 Heatpipe cooler TIM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Wicker Man

I aquired a 4 heatpipe cooler for my 3700, I left the stock TIM on it cause I read it was Shin-etsu and that supposed to be pretty good from what I read.
I have some AS3, about a 1/4 tube to be exact, would that be better then the stock stuff??????

I know AS is good, but is it worth pulling the HS and reapplying the TIM?????

I think the stock stuff is great! When I had to take off my heatsink I put AS5 on it and the temps stayed the same.(X2 HS on a 3700+ SD) So no I would not pull it off just to put your AS3 on it.

Last edited:
I have used and tried the stock white goo that comes with many heatsinks, and to be honest I don't really think it was all that great. It was basically just white grease, which does not do too well with thermal transfer. As long as you use the right amount of AS3 or 5 and give it the proper break in period of heat cycles, you will notice a difference in temperatures, although not right away. To be honest I have switched to AS5 and will never switch back to that typical white goo.

I have heard that once you use the stock stuff you never can remove all of the residual chemicals and it impairs the cooling of the next TIM you use.

The stock tim on the X2/Opteron cooler is Shinetsu. It performs on par with AS5 fully burnt in.

I'd stick with the stock stuff because it will outperform your AS3. This isn't like the old black rubber pads, or multilayered pads. This stuff is quality. I use Shin Etsu exclusively now because it spanks AS5.

Thanks for the info guys......

Load temps at 2640mhz are 39-43C
Idel temps are 28-32C

With stock fan, it's about 3-5C higher......

rseven said:
I have heard that once you use the stock stuff you never can remove all of the residual chemicals and it impairs the cooling of the next TIM you use.

Yea, apparently there is some wax content that menlts into the *microscopic* voids and is very difficult to remove afterwards.

Cheers.

I was able to remove the stock TIM. I didn't even try the stock TIM... just used ArctiClean and wallah... came off.

I guess it would have been more difficult if I had used it first?

Also, I'm having MAJOR issues with my stock x2 cooler on a new Opteron 146 that I purchased. I'm on stock volts, and I remounted twice... I am hitting 52C load temp on stock volts!!! AS5 is applied... :( I've never seen such high temps with a good cooler before.

Before this 146, I had a 148 with no IHS and a quiet TT Silentboost... I hit like 46-48C load with that on 1.475v

Think my x2 cooler is F-ed? I have another x2 cooler... either it's the cooler, or the IHS is really crappy.

Back