• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tornado!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We had some problems with hurricanes last year so i guess I can relate.

You actually went through the tornadoes? What did you do? Was there any hail?

Yes, I was hit, but only by the edge. No, there was not any ice hail, but there was enough debris to make up for it. A log, just under 3 inches in diameter bounced off the side of the house and then went though my fence. I have not climbed up on the roof yet, but it looks ok from the ground.

I happened to look out a window when it hit, so I saw large items fly by, mostly siding. My roommate did not believe me and tried to open the back door. He said bad words, the door slammed shut when the pressure dropped and he dove for the basement.

Wow, i never knew that tornadoes were so destructive

it just makes me wonder why people would move to places where tornadoes or hurricanes may frequent. If you've lived there for a while, well that's a different story

A tornado can occur just about anywhere in the North American Continent. There is nowhere to move where you would be 100% safe from them.

Audioaficionado said:
A tornado can occur just about anywhere in the North American Continent. There is nowhere to move where you would be 100% safe from them.

Exactly, about 6 years ogo, we had a cat 3 tear through salt lake city proper, did tons of damage.

It's hard to imagine the destruction a tornado can cause without witnessing it firsthand. I was only 6 when an F5 tore through Wichita (in '91), and while my memory is a bit fuzzy, I still have a few memories of entire blocks turned to matchsticks. While that specific tornado was probably bigger than anything I'll ever see again, even the weaker ones like F3s do some amazing damage.

Here's hoping for a fast recovery. Hopefully you and those you know haven't suffered too greatly.
JigPu

techun said:
what's Hawaii's tornado rate?
Well every time Hawaii has a Hurricane, I imagine several dozen tornadoes spin off during the storm. Hurricanes always spin off tornado's because hurricanes are an organized spinning mass of powerful thunder storms.

techun said:
what's hawaii's tornado rate?
That's nowhere near the north american continent :p

SolidxSnake, tornadoes can be strong enough to rip up full highways and suck water out of underground drain pipes. The low pressure can essentially act like an uncontrolled giant vacuum.

Back