• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE on Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

Hey all.

Anyone running IE in a Linux environment? Currently My business partner is stiring the pot in a Fortune 1000 company, We just got the Database standard moved from Orcal to mySQL, and have converted a test plant 99% paperless, our next goal would be to make it Windowless. All servers run Suse, problem is the software that controlls much of the systems is browser based and runs in IE, firefox and other browsers do not render it correctly all the time. So my thought instead of trying to rewrite 1000's of pages of code can we run IE through some Windows Emulator?

What Emulators would be good to try? Free or Not,
Has anyone done this can can testify to how it worked, speed compared to a non emulated browser?

I want to try both IE6 and IE7 Beta2

if anyone is bored and wants to give it a try and report back, I would be grateful. if not just saving me time by pointing me in the right direction to run tests this spring, would be great.

Hmm, would the version of IE designed for Apple's work on Linux I wonder? Mac OS is a form of Unix so it must be possible.

Crossover Office allows you to run IE really well and downloads the current fonts and media player for watching media embeded in webpages if you so desire. Not to mention other popular Windows Applications.
Although its not a free application they do contribute a lot of code back into the Wine project so your money is still supporting open source projects if thats important to you... its a really good application

http://www.codeweavers.com/

PS :- crossover office will even download IE for you as well as install it !! :) what more could you want !!

at school someones senior project was wine...
they installed IE as a joke but reported it as working pretty well.

jajmon said:
In a KDE environment for your desktop, Konkerour <spelling? can be configured to report IE as the browser, might try that.

its not the reporting as IE, its the rendering as IE, and the support for Web2.0 that IE has over all other browsers. that I require. but thanks for the idea.

Como said:
at school someones senior project was wine...
they installed IE as a joke but reported it as working pretty well.

anychance this person has there senior project online? Research by other people makes it way easier to sell ideas of change to Management.

thanks

UnseenMenace said:
Crossover Office allows you to run IE really well and downloads the current fonts and media player for watching media embeded in webpages if you so desire. Not to mention other popular Windows Applications.
Although its not a free application they do contribute a lot of code back into the Wine project so your money is still supporting open source projects if thats important to you... its a really good application

http://www.codeweavers.com/

PS :- crossover office will even download IE for you as well as install it !! :) what more could you want !!

Seconded. Crossover office is brilliant. I use it to run MS Office and iTunes and IE. I use IE occasionally for some sites that require it.

Back