• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HL2 (or something else?) question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I'm just finishing my new PC (in the sig) and I want to try out some games. I got HL2 as part of the deal on an AIW 9600. I never got very far because I just don't have much time to game these days.

I'd like to try playing it on the new system but I want to keep from installing a whole bunch of obnoxious crap and that's what I considered the Steam concept to be. Is there a way of running HL2 without that installing Steam? If not, then it just won't be installed and I'll go for a game that isn't obnoxious.

I always liked RPG games, such as Bard's Tale, Krondor (the first one), and Diablo. In fact, I still have Diablo2 installed on my laptop and play it whenever I head out of town, which is not too often.

So, the question is, can HL2 be played without the online stuff or if not, what good RPG type game is recommended? Single user is most important because I simply don't have time for the online worlds.

Steam isn't obnoxious. It's just annoying at times. I don't know why so many people overreact so much to little bugs...

petteyg359 said:
Steam isn't obnoxious. It's just annoying at times. I don't know why so many people overreact so much to little bugs...

I simply don't like things that keep connecting to home base. I don't like things that keep track of what I do and report it to Central. Nor things that run all the time whether I need them or not.

I want to play a game, not have my movements tracked, and not have my cycles stolen.

I agree, Steam is the most annoying thing to hit PC gaming as of recently. I just deal with it. I don't play anything Steam releated very much because of it though.

Celeron_Phreak said:
I agree, Steam is the most annoying thing to hit PC gaming as of recently. I just deal with it. I don't play anything Steam releated very much because of it though.

Oh good. What do you play?

dgk said:
I simply don't like things that keep connecting to home base. I don't like things that keep track of what I do and report it to Central. Nor things that run all the time whether I need them or not.

I want to play a game, not have my movements tracked, and not have my cycles stolen.

Geez you're paranoid. Click the exit button and it stops running. And it has about 0% CPU usage. It doesn't make the game run any slower than it would without Steam.

I play Far Cry, Call of Duty: United Offensive, Call of Duty 2, Quake 4, F.E.A.R., Doom 3. Something that's recent but not intrusive. :)

petteyg359 said:
Geez you're paranoid. Click the exit button and it stops running. And it has about 0% CPU usage. It doesn't make the game run any slower than it would without Steam.

And what is the purpose of it? Why can every other single player game manage to run without needing to call home?

I am concerned about privacy issues; we're losing our privacy to corporations and the government at an astonishing rate. It does bother me and it should bother you.

Celeron_Phreak said:
I play Far Cry, Call of Duty: United Offensive, Call of Duty 2, Quake 4, F.E.A.R., Doom 3. Something that's recent but not intrusive. :)

Alright, I'll see what's available at the next PC Fair.

theres nothing wrong with steam. i think its a great program, ok, can be annoying when its updating and you wanna play, but other than that, no complaints here. if u dont want it running, switch it off. you will be missing alot if u dont install it

I'll take steam all day vs. having to get up and switch disks everytime I want to play a game. If I could register all my games to play via steam, I would. Well, I gotta get up and put the FarCry disk in so I can play a game I paid for.

Steam is FINE. it is REDICULOUS with all the paranoia about it. there's a little something called OFFLINE MODE. Sign on once, authenticate your HL2 copy... then disconnect the internet from your laptop/desktop, and then exit/restart steam, and BAM. offline mode.

it really isn't that hard :shrug:

i gotta say...steam is a real good system...i never have to worry about losing my game if i lose my cds i just connect and i can dl all the games i have...however i can see how its a inconvinence for people without internet...

mrgreenjeans said:
I'll take steam all day vs. having to get up and switch disks everytime I want to play a game. If I could register all my games to play via steam, I would. Well, I gotta get up and put the FarCry disk in so I can play a game I paid for.

You could just install a "no cd" crack and u dont need any cd no more. Its the easiest way. I use it all the time.

I kinds like steam but if they fix some things then it is very good. You can go anywhere and play your games. Its very nice.

afg34 said:
You could just install a "no cd" crack and u dont need any cd no more. Its the easiest way. I use it all the time.

I kinds like steam but if they fix some things then it is very good. You can go anywhere and play your games. Its very nice.

No-CD cracks are considered warez, and are therefore illegal. Whether you own the game or not, still illegal.

If no-cd cracks were illegal, megagames and GCW wouldn't have been around for so many years. They would have been shutdown years ago. They are both publicly well known websites which do not host any illegal material of any sort. They are strongly against it, actually.

Celeron_Phreak said:
If no-cd cracks were illegal, megagames and GCW wouldn't have been around for so many years. They would have been shutdown years ago. They are both publicly well known websites which do not host any illegal material of any sort. They are strongly against it, actually.

Even still, if you don't want to play with CD's, virtual drives should suffice

That's essentially the same thing as a no-CD crack. You arn't using the retail disc to play the game, and using third party software to play the game. Plus a virtual drive takes up extra space on the HD because you have to have an image of the original disc on your drive.

Back