• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't throw away that old psu...recycle!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ƒÓÒl

I was at my wits end this week. I started getting random reboots every day or so, but my voltages are all fine.

Well, my 12 volt was the lowest, at 11.9 DMM/11.62Bios, so I decided that my aging Torin blower had to find a new power source to make a couple of amps available to the mobo once again.
They say these A64's aren't that 12 volt dependant, but I found my poor Fortron 400 is only a 15 Amper on the 12.

I didn't have any transformers handy that gave real DC output, only AC. So I decided to recycle some parts from an old power supply to make it work.
The transformer is a 16 volt doorbell transformer that puts out almost 1A.

From an old 300 watt noname psu I rescued a bridge rectifier. I chacked it's true rating with a google search and found it was 50 volt 25Amp output so it's plenty beefy enough.
The fan worked, but it kindof twitched abit and didn't seem to be running at full speed, so I added one of the large caps also from the psu. It's rated 200VDC so no prob there either (btw the stripe up the side indicates the negative pole).

Long story short (finally, I know) and the blower is pumping away with more rpm than it had on 12 volts!
The blower is rated from 18-24 volts, so there's no problem raising it to 16.
It's the only fan in my case, so I'm finding a 2C case temp drop too, without much added noise!

Save those old psu's, or at least scalp some parts from them before they hit the bin. You never know when they'll come in handy.

Happy boy! :clap:

Back