• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first heatsink lapping project...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Flat is more important than shinny, so if it's flat you are good. Some finer paper, 800, 1000, 1200 and you can have shinny too.

rseven said:
Flat is more important than shinny, so if it's flat you are good. Some finer paper, 800, 1000, 1200 and you can have shinny too.

How can you tell if its flat? If your saying that all of the imperfections are removed, then yes its flat. I guess.

I'm running prime95. I'm hitting 46-47c right now. It says it will take an hour to make sure the code is good. What ever that means..

If you had your paper on a perfectly flat surface, such as a piece of glass, when you were sanding you may have noticed in the beginning that some parts weren't even touching the paper and weren't being sanded. As you go along the whole bottom of the heatsink is being sanded, and that's when you know it's flat. Then the next step is smoothing it out for even better contact. If you sanded on a flat surface you have done both of these things.

anhvo12345 said:
how long did it took you to lapp your stock heatsink?

Hmmm, I worked on it for over an hour.. about 45 minutes using 400 grit, then 20 minutes using 600.

EDIT: I did it in the kitchen, before the Sopranos' started @ 9.
(The wife still has the Valetines day table cloth on)

Last edited:
if it were me, I'd continue with finer grits - go to 1000, then 1200, then 1500. You will have to get the finer grits at a local hardware store (not home depot), usually available in single sheets.

good job-

itshondo said:
if it were me, I'd continue with finer grits - go to 1000, then 1200, then 1500. You will have to get the finer grits at a local hardware store (not home depot), usually available in single sheets.

good job-

Yes, Home Depot only has the 400 & 600. I would have gotten the 1000 grit if they had it. Going that fine is almost like a polish...

Back