• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dead 165!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liftedcj7on44s

Ok well its not totally dead but its getting worse and worse everyday(takes 1.5v to get even stock speeds now) so i am going to have to get another one, i have my 3200 in right now at 2700mhz to hold me over. I am thinking about getting a 170 this time as i need the 10x multi. what stepping should i try and get. CCBWE 0550UPMW or CCBWE 0550VPMW or CCBWE 0551UPMW???

Yes definitely go with a rma. If you got it within the last 30 days you can send it back to the retailer you got it from and just ask to get a 1700 and pay the differance so you can get the 10x multiplier. But its under warrenty so dont just trash it.

RMAing that chip would be abuse of the warranty you guys.

From what I've been reading, the 0550 VPMW is the cream of the crop at the moment, but stock is gone of it everywhere and handpicked of this stepping is going for over half a grand.

The 0551's, MPMW, TPMW, UPMW, VPMW, WPMW all require heaps of voltage for much above 2500-2600. Pretty much average week for the Opty's. From a couple of reports, the 0601/0602's do even worse.

Before the 0550 VPMW, the 0530 was the best, though that's even more rare than the above.

A purchase now from a random place would likely net an 0551 which is par for the course, still usually able to hit FX60 speeds which is not bad for 300 bones, but if you're looking for the best, it'll cost youse.

RMA would be nice but it is my fault that the chip is about dead and i dont wanna screw anyone over. Would it be any good to try and call some of the retailers and see if they will pick out the one that i want. I know thats not gonna happen more than likely but i guess it wouldnt hurt to try!

mr1337pants said:
RMAing that chip would be abuse of the warranty you guys.

From what I've been reading, the 0550 VPMW is the cream of the crop at the moment, but stock is gone of it everywhere and handpicked of this stepping is going for over half a grand.

The 0551's, MPMW, TPMW, UPMW, VPMW, WPMW all require heaps of voltage for much above 2500-2600. Pretty much average week for the Opty's. From a couple of reports, the 0601/0602's do even worse.

Before the 0550 VPMW, the 0530 was the best, though that's even more rare than the above.

A purchase now from a random place would likely net an 0551 which is par for the course, still usually able to hit FX60 speeds which is not bad for 300 bones, but if you're looking for the best, it'll cost youse.

Not really, in my opinion. There is no viable proof as to what is causing these issues. If you got a processor, stuck it in, and instantly had to start pumping up voltages to get it to work, what would you do? Since he is having to shove up voltages for stock I would consider that to be an issue with the chip.

The Opteron 0550 UPMW is pretty good too, some have proven to be just as good as the 0550 VPMW.

I've got one too. It does:

2750 at stock voltage.
2800 at 1.4v
2950 at 1.55v
2970 at 1.58v

Indyxc

Midnight Dream said:
Not really, in my opinion. There is no viable proof as to what is causing these issues. If you got a processor, stuck it in, and instantly had to start pumping up voltages to get it to work, what would you do? Since he is having to shove up voltages for stock I would consider that to be an issue with the chip.
If it comes from the factory needing more voltage than stock, it would warrant an RMA. However, overclocking in and of itself voids the warranty. You can plainly see the chip in question has been overclocked and degraded only after being run far out of spec. I have never heard of a K8 degrading to the point of needed excess voltage for stock operation when running stock speeds and voltage with the VDimm at a max of 2.85v for the duration of its life. I applaud liftedcj for being responsible.

Good post, Indyxc, the 0550 in general seems to be the one to shoot for. Before the price hike in January, I ordered a 165 from ZZF because someone mentioned getting an 0550 from them at the time, but I received an 0551 UPMW. :shrug:

mr1337pants said:
I have never heard of a K8 degrading to the point of needed excess voltage for stock operation when running stock speeds and voltage with the VDimm at a max of 2.85v for the duration of its life.

To accompany that statement, I have never heard of a K8 degrading period. I might be wrong, and there is nothing to say i'm not.

I applaud liftedcj for being responsible.

I agree here. While, I did recommend an RMA, it is responsible to eat the loss. Being a starving college student, I still think if it were the exact same situation, I would of seen what could of been done. Even so, be completely honest about the situation, at the very least.

ok the reason the chip wont run without excessive voltage is because of my stupidity. I had the IHS removed and it didnt work out with my modded xp-120. So i had to put superglue on the IHS and put it back on, all was fine did 2700mhz at 1.38v in bios. So a few weeks later i had been hearing how the XP-120's were not flat so i decided to pull it and lap it, well when i pulled the XP off the superglue didnt hold the IHS to the PCB and i ended up smaking a few of the capacitors. when i installed it i also tried to get as much of the epoxy off the PCB and nothing seemed to work but a razor. Well i ended up diggin into the PCB. So by this time i have scratched some capacitors and fubared the PCB. I put the rig back together and booted at my normal 300x9 and was greeted with a windows load followed by a bsod! i tried everything and eventually had to back down to 2600mhz and even then it took 1.5v to be stable. SO its my fault that the chip is screwed and im not gonna RMA it, i will take the loss from my own stupidity and buy another opteron, and this time im gonna leave the IHS on!

Yeah, that has to stink. I'm not removing the IHS till i get a new chip :p
Good that you're honest and not RMA'ing it. I dont think you need a 10x multi though, you've got a decent mobo... idk its not really my place to tell you about your mobo.

well the motherboard is good. i love the board but i seem to get better clocks with a 10x multi on here, once i start getting a real high HTT memory dividers stop working with this board which it is know to do with others. yeah i am glad i had the 3200 left over. But thanks for all the help guys, I dont need to be removing IHS's so i wont anymore for a long time! But thanks for the help!

liftedcj7on44s said:
ok the reason the chip wont run without excessive voltage is because of my stupidity. I had the IHS removed and it didnt work out with my modded xp-120. So i had to put superglue on the IHS and put it back on, all was fine did 2700mhz at 1.38v in bios. So a few weeks later i had been hearing how the XP-120's were not flat so i decided to pull it and lap it, well when i pulled the XP off the superglue didnt hold the IHS to the PCB and i ended up smaking a few of the capacitors. when i installed it i also tried to get as much of the epoxy off the PCB and nothing seemed to work but a razor. Well i ended up diggin into the PCB. So by this time i have scratched some capacitors and fubared the PCB. I put the rig back together and booted at my normal 300x9 and was greeted with a windows load followed by a bsod! i tried everything and eventually had to back down to 2600mhz and even then it took 1.5v to be stable. SO its my fault that the chip is screwed and im not gonna RMA it, i will take the loss from my own stupidity and buy another opteron, and this time im gonna leave the IHS on!

In that case, I fully agree with you, and would of done the same thing. If it were just an undamaged proc that was not working with volts anymore, I would see if AMD would be gracious to me.

Back