• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is Overclocking? How are people 'Good' at it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Careface

OK, Before you whip out the 'Noob' posts, just going to explain why I asked this.. I've seen a couple of people on MSN who basically say that people like Kinc, Shamino etc etc shouldnt be considered 'good' overclockers because all they do is "put more volts through the chip, throw on some good cooling and up the fsb".. Ive tried to explain that its just not as simple as that, you need to be able to get a feel for what your hardware is like, how its going to react to different situations, what its like with added volts etc etc.. but They cant seem to understand this..

If you'd be so kind as to explain that overclocking is not just cpu+volts+cooling+fsb, Id be very much appreciative, and link those non believers to this page :p

Oh, and If this is in the wrong section, appologies.. I never quite know where to post these kind of things.

Careface*

LOL well people always ask me to build them a computer and overclock it for em... i hate it too bad RTFM doesnt work in this case.

But overclocking is simply knowing how exactly how far to push your hardware and which settings will do what. I know for me at least im not "good" with RAM timings because i usually just put crappy timings so it's stable. A "good" overclocker would know exactly what settings will work without having extra un-needed performance loss. The same settings will not work for everyone whether they have the exact same hardware or not. Sometimes it's luck of the draw sometimes you get screwed and live on with it(or just cut off a pin and RMA LOL) Now on to voltage. You need to be sure of what volts will give you approximatly what temps, otherwise you might fry your ****. But with RAM its very important to know what chips you have because TCCD (if im not mistaken) likes below 1.8v where as others such as UCCD 2.0V but i hope this is what you wanted im off to school

The reason they say that is becase the best overclocker manages fantastic clocks amidst all failure. Now in some cases they really do a bangup job. However other peopele are simply given the best of the best and then it become nothing more than putting the kit together.

What the better guys get more respect for is their cooling and voltmod configuration and not the clocks themselves (unless there's reason for it)

before wasting too much time trying to prove things to people who are too busy to learn them for themselves simply point them towards some of opp or shaminos 3dmark runs and tell them to repeat the scores.... even with the exact same hardware and in alot of the people your dealing withs case the same cooling, they couldnt come anywhere near the points those 2 put up.

hawtrawkr said:
before wasting too much time trying to prove things to people who are too busy to learn them for themselves simply point them towards some of opp or shaminos 3dmark runs and tell them to repeat the scores.... even with the exact same hardware and in alot of the people your dealing withs case the same cooling, they couldnt come anywhere near the points those 2 put up.

🙇

As said before, the high clocks of the components is really a given when talking about the pros, but what makes them the pros is that they have those high clocks benchable at the same time which is not easy at all.

Also, the OC does not just rely on the hardware speed, but also how well you know your operating system, with most serious OCers they tweak their OS till its perfect.

And when it comes to cooling, I for one couldnt manage three tubes of LN2 all at once.

So ya, there is a lot more to OCing than having the best hardware.

I'd just add it's also knowing the hardware...what's the point in getting the world's best UTT ram if you get a mobo that has a cold boot barrier or a bios that does not let you tweak that TCCD stick to the fullest. It's knowing the tendencies of your hardware, Knowing why that PSU will lt you OC that last 10mhz just because it gives cleaner juice.

Foremost, it's knowleage that make a good OCer, ware (both hard and soft) come in second

Sentential said:
The reason they say that is becase the best overclocker manages fantastic clocks amidst all failure. Now in some cases they really do a bangup job. However other peopele are simply given the best of the best and then it become nothing more than putting the kit together.

What the better guys get more respect for is their cooling and voltmod configuration and not the clocks themselves (unless there's reason for it)
Thats exactly how I view it. Im more interested in anything neat, interesting or inovative people have done to achive better overclocking like volt modding, custom air/water/phase cooling etc. and any other little modifications here and there that just make the system run and look better. Quite frankly anyone can go in an pump up their core speed and voltages. A true overclocker does their own modding etc. I mean hell my system isnt impressive at all.

Overclocking at its best. Failure, Failure,Failure, Failure,Failure, Failure,Failure, Failure,Sucess! Followed shortly thereafter by smoking and burning. LOL

To me, getting the highest clocks and the fastest benchmarks is fairly meaningless. To obtain benchmarks you just need a mild amount of stability, but they are are not speeds you can run at everyday, so why would I care about it? Secondly, if I am a car tuner and I can tune my engine for 40% more horsepower but it burns up after 20,000 miles is this a success? I think not. To me, the art of overclocking is getting the most out of a system while still being able to use it everyday for years to come. Lastly, being a destructive demon is pretty adolescent and smacks of wasteful consumption. It's akin to hot dog eating contest. Personally, when I go to a ballgame, I just drink the beers and let everyone else eat the hot dogs. :) :beer:

rseven said:
To me, getting the highest clocks and the fastest benchmarks is fairly meaningless. To obtain benchmarks you just need a mild amount of stability, but they are are not speeds you can run at everyday, so why would I care about it? Secondly, if I am a car tuner and I can tune my engine for 40% more horsepower but it burns up after 20,000 miles is this a success? I think not. To me, the art of overclocking is getting the most out of a system while still being able to use it everyday for years to come. Lastly, being a destructive demon is pretty adolescent and smacks of wasteful consumption. It's akin to hot dog eating contest. Personally, when I go to a ballgame, I just drink the beers and let everyone else eat the hot dogs. :) :beer:

well the people who overclock for the benching aspect are like sprinters and the people who overclock for max stable overclock are like joggers in my eyes (a rough analogy i know)

the people who put up these amazing overclocks with exotic cooling dont try to pass off any of their runs as stable (well anymore stable than running the test one time anyway) they do it as a competetive/hobby thing that everyone in one way or anther does (these people just do it with hardware)

according to your analogy why even go to the baseball game at all? in the end it hasnt done anything and your money is gone all the same.....however you do get the entertainment value out of it though which is exactly why these people bench the way they do (i can assure you they wouldnt do it if they didnt enjoy it as it can take countless hours to get the max score here)

hawtrawkr said:
well the people who overclock for the benching aspect are like sprinters and the people who overclock for max stable overclock are like joggers in my eyes (a rough analogy i know)

the people who put up these amazing overclocks with exotic cooling dont try to pass off any of their runs as stable (well anymore stable than running the test one time anyway) they do it as a competetive/hobby thing that everyone in one way or anther does (these people just do it with hardware)

Very well put!

Hawtrawkr, I have a feeling this is deja vous all over again.:)

The baseball game was a joke.

A sprinter is exorcising and doing something healthy. A bencher is sucking up the worlds limited resources in a narcissistic binge of self gratification. It's meaningless mental masturbation in an empty void of numbers without thought or comprehension while the world drowns in an abyss of mass consumption and frivolous waste.

Just kidding. :D Whatever floats their boat. However, it's not overclocking in my sense of the word, which I believe was the original topic before I meandered on to the surmon on the mount.:)

Last edited:
A "good" Overclocker needs to know alot about what hes doing before sending 1.7 V Into a Northwood and Crying about a Blue screen :p

Knowledge and experience has a lot to do with being a good overclocker. I consider myself good (but not great). I generally have pretty good success. But, I do a lot of research before I buy and a lot of settings/voltage tweaking and a lot of cooling trial and error. You'll never be truly good until you have knowledge and experience (with a little luck thrown in too). You have to be one with your system.

Back