• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just an idea for the folders....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bixit_62

hey all....
just a little idea for the pretty much the whole folding community in general, but is not possible for folding applications to harness the power of the graphics processor? because, to be honest, it doesnt do as much work as it can when your just browsing the net, and many of us (well me anyway) run powerful (-ish (radeon 9800pro) graphics cards, and these can be used as processors for folding!
just an idea!

Most likely separate, since not all people have graphics cards than can use it (I think it requires DX9 or something else that only newer cards have, I'm not sure)

You'd run the CPU instances just as today and run one of the instance of the GPU version of the client.

Edit: or maybe two GPU instances on SLI/crossfire

and they might only release it compatible to NVidia or ATI only...because they use different number of something...you can look at the FAH website, it talks about all of this on there. SO, to make it compatible with both makers, they would need to spend twice the amount of work....so just look on the page and you'll find all the info that's been released.

I really hope it's soon because I have a few nice video cards that don't get used very much, so I can make them work to earn their home like my all my CPUs do. I'm getting really tired of them freeloading off me all the time.

Like they discuss in that thread, this could cause a lot of GPU's to die an early death.

(Still a neat idea though)

Back