• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for this system.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WheaT

I am looking to get a new PSU for this new system I am building. It will eventually be a sli system with 2 7900gt's. :shrug:

AMD X2 4200 or Opty 170....(havnt decided yet)
2 gigs Gskill PC-4000
about 3 HD's
2 x 7900gts
DVD-R drive
3 Fans
Possibly eventually a sound card
and some light overclocking. Im not pushing this system to the max but i do plan to oc it a bit.

I want a solid PSU under $130, (cheaper the better) and will not only be QUIET but also effective in powering this system. I am here because i have NO idea what to get. I know fortron/sparkle/OCZ/Powerstream are great.Some are uber expensive however. Ive also heard something about single 12v rails instead of dual? (see, i really am clueless :)) Some suggestions, testimonials, etc would be wonderfull!

Thanks! WheaT

Well, you're not asking for much! :) It sounds like a job for the OCZ 520w SLI Powerstream. It's here. It's $118 after MIR.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I am asking alot am i..:) I think you found what i need. Thanks for the help!

WheaT

Most people will be recommending the OCZ Powerstream 520w or the Silverstone Zues ST560ZF. The silverstone is available for $124 shipped here, though that site doesn't have many reveiws.

Which one is quieter? And which one would be more able to handle say another HD if i ever felt the need to add another?

WheaT

You're definitely asking for alot. The Silverstone ST56ZF would be my first recommendation but it isn't quiet, my next would be the OCZ Powerstream - but that would be 5a less of power. When you're running two high-end cards like that you will want all the power you can get.

I currently Own a OCZ Powerstream 520, and just a couple days a go I was able to test my system with two 7800Gt's in SLI (borrowed one from a friend :D ). I left my processor running at 2.6ghz and Ran the system as hard as I could and my rails never went below what they are supposed to be putting out. And with that being said, I have actually turned down the voltage rails from where they were stock to help prolong the PSUs life.

d94 said:
ocz 520 would be the best choice
im building a machine for a friend right now running a dual core machine, $$$ is a big part so i found a very promising psu for $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182009
26A 12v rail and 3 yr warrenty along with some solid reviews

That PSU runs good, but doesnt seem to last long, A friend of mine has gone thru two of those Rosewill PSUs both of them did the same thing. Some of the Hotglue got hot and dripped down into the fan and stopped the fan and killed the PSU from heat. And the system he has this running in isnt even a top end system. Its a 3800+ Manchester not overclocked, an Asrock Dual Sata board, 6800GS PCI-e, a 74Gb Raptor, 300Gb 7200 RPM seagate, then an MSI Sata Combo drive and a Plextor Sata DVD Burner. nothing spectacular but went thru two of those Rosewills and after the 2nd he went with the OCZ powerstream.

Back