• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Urgent, removal of IHS.. WOW 235 members viewin AMD!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firstdegreeab

I was wondering, since i'm removing my IHS on my 4800x2 do i need to cover or coats the other smaller IC chips surrounding the main cpu with any non conductive coating??? I've heard nail polish????? I've heard of people lapping thier core???? anyone. Main question is the coating...
Thanks in advance.
Alex

No coating is necessary, as long as nothing conductive or capacitive comes in contact with them. A lot of people put foam around the core to cover the other components, as well as prevent crushing the core.

I wouldn't ever lap a core, for the record.

Thanks for the ultra quick response. lapping the core does sound crazy but have hear it before. My Koolance water block has a ratcheting screw set to a certain force, should i tighten it down less with the IHS off. How do you know how tight to do it??? just by feel??

Yeah, I've heard of lapping the core as well, but it yields diminished returns for the risk.

With a waterblock, you'll want it to be snug but not overly tight. I'd recommend tightening until you feel resistance, then boot up and check temps. If they seem too high, tighten a bit. Depending on threading, I'd go 1/4 turn at a time past resistance until temps look right.

You can lap the IHS, but never the core. Unless that is, you have money to burn.

Back