• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Update on many things folding.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
OK folks, I've been lapsing a bit.

Myself and IMOG are both utterly snowed under with real life issues - I have exams coming up April/May, I am managing a massive change to the way the store I work for operates (including co-ordinating a silly amount of paperwork this week) and I spend most evenings too tired to work on anything. IMOG has important exams this week and is also busy at work. So, sob stories aside, lets get on to the point of the thread. What are my plans, and how can we all work together to make these plans into actions that will take the folding team onwards and upwards!

(i) Website
The website is currently a placeholder page. Mambo got hacked and I haven't had time to get even a basic page up. Plan so far appears to be to replace the octeams sites with one unified site for benchmarking, seti and folding. I have been playing with the graphics some (although I may need to enlist some help to get some proper professional graphics up) and the main thing we need that I cannot provide in a short timescale is a news script. I was thinking that even a basic custom made php/mysql script will evade the pitfalls of using a well known set of scripts as exploits will be less commonly known.

For anyone who fancies writing a script the script should:
- Allow posts in the "benchmarks", "seti" or "folding" topics or alternatively all three.
- Have four user levels: news posters who can post in one of the three topics, edit their own posts and delete their own posts; news moderators who can post in any topic or in all at once, edit any post and delete any post; and admins who are as moderators but may add and delete users. A fourth user level would be "reader" with email confirmation who can comment on news posts.

My idea for the site would be that users visiting octeams.com see a general site with recent news posts about general octeams stuff and say the X most recent posts from the seperate sites. A user can choose to view one section and that shows posts from that topic, as well as appropriate links and subsections, such as a "post your system pics" section or such.

ETA for all this? A basic site by 01/05/06 would be ideal, and fully set up and running by 01/07/06 with news scripts and all.

(ii) IRC

As you may know there is already the octeams channel for general chat between ocforums and octeams members. However I would also like to put some effort into a channel focused on folding@home discussion and eventually encompassing multiple teams.

Server: irc://irc.zirc.org
Channel #octeams for general chat.
Channel #foldingcommunity for Folding@Home chat, help and discussion.

If team 32 get behind the latter channel and fully support it as a way to get quick help with folding issues and to discuss and debate the major issues facing folding just now then we can roll this out more fully as a cross-team platform for folding@home discussion, including the other big teams as well as the smaller and less well known ones.

To use IRC either:
(a) Go to zirc.org/chat and use the rather basic chat applet.
(b) Download mirc from www.mirc.com
(c) Download xchat from xchat.org (linux) or http://www.silverex.org/download/ (windows)
(d) Use another irc client of your choice such as irssi, sirc, bitchx etc

ETA? I would like to have #foldingcommunity operational as a folding@home discussion channel with reasonable activity by 01/05/06 and then invite other teams by 01/06/06.

(iii) Recruitment and Contests

Could leaders of the various initiatives give some indication as to how they are doing? Is the folding mentor project working out ok? Are team 32 users still inviting new forum members to the team? Are we still reaching out to potential team members looking for some fun, competition and community?

Any ideas how we can move this on? I would love to run a contest but so far attempts to source prizes have been fruitless. If anyone has any links with suitable companies now may be the time to exploit those links! :)

ETA? It would be great to run a summer contest so I'd say if we can get organised by 01/05/06 and have the contest start before 01/06/06 we should be able to stem the decline in users and production.

Thanks guys, please post up any ideas, thoughts, comments or appropriate points as you see fit. This is YOUR folding team and we need to all get behind it to try and make it work as best we can :)

David

Shameless bump, any opinions or questions?

David said:
ETA for all this? A basic site by 01/05/06 would be ideal, and fully set up and running by 01/07/06 with news scripts and all.

for a second I was confused, then I remembered the wacky british way of writing dates ;)

same as May 1st, and July 1st, right?

I think those are good dates. I'm actually learning HTML in one of my classes right now. If you guys don't have a site pretty far along, I'll change my final design project to be about folding. I'll get my final project grade, and we'll have a basic, hand-coded folding site :D

Do the Seti and Benchmark teams no about the joint site? Maybe they have people with more free time.

veryhumid said:
for a second I was confused, then I remembered the wacky british way of writing dates ;)

same as May 1st, and July 1st, right?

I think those are good dates. I'm actually learning HTML in one of my classes right now. If you guys don't have a site pretty far along, I'll change my final design project to be about folding. I'll get my final project grade, and we'll have a basic, hand-coded folding site :D

Do the Seti and Benchmark teams no about the joint site? Maybe they have people with more free time.

Ah yes its going to be a combined site. I'll post up threads in their sections. I posted this here because it includes about a folding channel and increasing production.

David said:
the main thing we need that I cannot provide in a short timescale is a news script. I was thinking that even a basic custom made php/mysql script will evade the pitfalls of using a well known set of scripts as exploits will be less commonly known.

I have a decent news script tested and seems to be ok, will post back.

(ii) IRC (snip)

If you are insterested, I have found a good IRC web-based client that can be set to automatically connect to a certain server and room....

Cjwinnit said:
I have a decent news script tested and seems to be ok, will post back.

<3

If you are insterested, I have found a good IRC web-based client that can be set to automatically connect to a certain server and room....

Could be useful... :D

Back