• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PXE 965 is out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice find. Can't imagine they are going to sell many unless someone has to have the absolute last of a dying breed. Short of that, I will be real curious to see if the C1 steppings clock better than the current stepping. If so, maybe I'll pick up another 930-940 or 671 if they release it.

Pretty cool from the looks of it, makes you wonder why Intel would even bother after announcing conroe at IDF :shrug: Wouldn't common sense say to just wait a little longer?

~ Gos

Heh. Maybe FUGGER would get one of these untill they ship him a Conroe 2.66 LOL :p

That one is probably already on it's way to Fugger ;) I can't wait to see what that thing is priced at....and what it's at in say Nov. That thing will have worse depreciation than a new Jaguar. The only people who will have those are people getting them gratis (reviewers/insiders) or those who have more $$ than sense ;)

I'll still be much more curious what the C1 steppings are like on the lower Preslers for OCing and if any of them have LockFree. 12x would be a whole lotta FSB...maybe too much for what these cores reach (6GHz = 500FSB @ 12x :eek: ). Record is 450FSB AFAIK.

he posted yesterday that the 955 was going out today, hmm guess this does explain it (I didnt think he actually got a conroe running yet) and besides, you'll be able to see how C1 does under his SS compaired to the old 955 ;)
make guestamations from there.

btw.. these are going for just over 1K

Maybe, but at that level, I don't think the steppings will show a big difference. The heat output there is probably the biggest factor for 6GHz clocks, but I'll be curious to see if more of them have a tendency to clock like mine, which is apparently very far and few in between on the current stepping.

ohhhhh.. you know you want to try it Ross.. so just do it :D
psst. if you dont someone will steal your WR from you!!! :p

"However, we found it particularly impressive to see our test sample reach a 4.26-GHz core clock speed without any voltage increase."

Wahahaha! That's some serious overclock. I'll be tempted to buy one of these and drop it into my system before Conroe releases. :bang head

-GearShift3r

GearShift3r said:
"However, we found it particularly impressive to see our test sample reach a 4.26-GHz core clock speed without any voltage increase."

[...]

-GearShift3r
Actually, IMO, it sounded even more intersting in the context of the complete paragraph:

It was not very surprising to see the Extreme Edition 965 failing our overclocking tests at 4,533 MHz. Obviously, the limit of the double cores still is below 4.5 GHz when air cooled. However, we found it particularly impressive to see our test sample reach a 4.26-GHz core clock speed without any voltage increase. This proves that the C1 stepping offers noticeable improvement to the Cedar Mill cores (which are part of the Presler double core). When we overclocked the first double-core Extreme Edition 955, a noticeable voltage increase was required. This time, however, we could recommend running the Extreme Edition 965 at this clock speed if achieved without a voltage increase.

Interesting to note this was on the stock Intel cooler.

From the stock Vcore results, it does sound like the C1's show an improvemnt over the B1's, but I'm always wary of the top-of-the-line EE/XE ES & NDA new stepping sample reviews, 'cuz they always seem to perform somewhat miraculously, but then, often let us down on the lower to midrange clockings, when actually released thru the retail channels, which is what most of us buy. Not always, but often, IMO.

OTOH: It does seem like the lower end C1's might be a nice OC toy to play with, while sending Netburst to the "remember when" bin, while waiting for Conroe (as a complete package - i.e. cpu/mobo/chipset) to arrive on the scene, & prove itself.

Strat

Ross said:
[...] I'll still be much more curious what the C1 steppings are like on the lower Preslers for OCing and if any of them have LockFree. 12x would be a whole lotta FSB...maybe too much for what these cores reach (6GHz = 500FSB @ 12x :eek: ). Record is 450FSB AFAIK.
Here ya' go Ross:

[56K WARNING - .pdf files]

From THE INTEL PCN INDEX

PCN 10567-01

PCN 10567-02

I suspect the EIST multi might be 14X, which is why the 2.8G parts where not mentioned, but I saw another PCN (105884-00) stating the P4 600 series NO's will change to an RO stepping, & a 12X EIST multi, on 24 March 2006, so who knows? :shrug:

BTW - Check out the "Date of First Availability" for the C1 Presslers: 5 April 2006! It's possible one or two of the vendors that happen to place their orders fortuitously, may be getting stock w/i ~2 weeks, or so! Well, possibly, anyway. :cool:

Strat

Last edited:
Hmmm.. as sort of Netburst's last stand before Conroe maybe Intel will up the frequency multiplier one more time on the Presler to achieve 3.99 GHz and perhaps sell it as a 4 GHz chip? After all, they seem to be scaling well on the stock cooler in any case.

In reading the PCN, i noticed that the 920 will NOT undergo stepping revisions to C1, and will stay at B1 until EOL..... good thing the price drop will bring the 930 down to around the cost of the current 920.

MikeyLikesItSI said:
In reading the PCN, i noticed that the 920 will NOT undergo stepping revisions to C1, and will stay at B1 until EOL..... good thing the price drop will bring the 930 down to around the cost of the current 920.

Good eye! :santa2:

After the April price rollback, I think the 965 will be priced at the 955 price, all 9xx prices will slide down to the next price/performance slot and the 920 will EOL. C1 stepping seems to have dropped power consumption putting higher clocks within the realm of the stock HSF.

Had BTX taken off, Netburst's final days may have been @ 4GHz.

I just have to wonder if there is a core change that reduces power consumption or if that's just the inclusion of EIST. My guess is the latter and they will run just as hot OCed/on load as the B1s do. Yep, come Nov. or so, the 671 and 965 might be right in my price range :) I don't think they've listed an exact date yet, but there will be 2 more price drops this year in Q3 and Q4. I can't imagine Preslers will be worth much by Dec. ;)

Neither the 965 or any Preslers to date support EIST. Power savings were frim C1E which is basically a bogus feature and only reduces power under IDLE conditions.
The Enhanced Halt State(C1E) reduces clock speeds decreasing the clock multiplier down to its minimum value which is 14x on the 965 , then reducing the voltage. The clock speed is reduced and then the voltage is dropped, to maintain stability. Intel claims the new C1E is better that conventional halt state, because of the new feature of voltage reduction in addition to reduction in clock speed. Previous halt state causes a linear reduction in power, Intel's C1E on the 965 causes an exponential decrease in power, potentially offering better power savings than the standard halt state. Basically this means your CPU draws less power until you use it.

Back