• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing parts for new comp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

I want to build a new comp (and I said BUILD !), and I don't have much $$$. I would like a athlon 1 GHz, or a duron (whatever that will overclock pretty well and that isn't too expensive). What should I choose ? And what motherboard to choose that overclocks well and isn't too expensive ? The rest, I can find for cheap, but these are the most important things in a comp ! Thanks !

welllll.....

if you're wanting to save a few bucks and pull out that 128 meg stick of pc133 you have in your old rig, i'd say that i'm real pleased with my kt7a board. looks like they are coming in at right under 90 bucks on pricewatch. only problem would be if you ever planned on using an athlonXP, the older versions of this board wont accept it (you'd need to make sure you get a 1.3 rev or later). it oc's real well, and has tons of features. i've built quite a few systems for home/work and liked this one the best by far (because of all the oc'ing goodies it has).

if you want DDR, i haven't used any yet so i cant really recommend anything there, but from what i hear abit and epox are real good with the options for oc'ing.

Are you planning on using parts from your old computer?

I'd say to at least go with DDR. You're going to be disappointed if you go with anything less. DDR memory doesn't cost any more than PC133 at this point, and motherboards cost about the same. If your PC133 isn't good quality CAS2 stuff (i.e. Crucial) you'd want to upgrade it for overclocking anyway, so you can reach higher FSB's at higher memory timings. So all in all, I'd say stick to DDR, Crucial DDR at that, if you want to overclock.

If you want my recommendation, I'd say a 1.1 GHz Morgan core Duron is where it's at - it packs SSE and hardware prefetch that a TBird doesn't have. I'd say you're likely to get 1.3-1.4 GHz out of it. Pair this with an Epox 8KHA+ or a Shuttle AK31r3. The Epox should be in the sub-$125 US range and the Shuttle should be in the sub-$100 US range. Both great boards..... I can attest to the Shuttle.

And make sure to get a dang good HSF unit. You won't regret it. I'd say go with a Thermalright SK6 or a Millenium Glaciator II, both are relatively inexpensive for how well they perform (the glaciator being the quieter one, the SK6 performs slightly better when mated with a Delta38 or YSTech40). If you wanna go for the Rolls Royce, grab an Alpha PAL8045, with about a 50-55 CFM fan. It's relatively quiet and it's as good as it gets for aircooling.

Hope this helps.

SB

Greetings. I just purchased four Shuttle AK31 (Rev3) mobo's and they cost me less than $85. The boards are great and they can take a 1-1.53Ghz Athlon chip. The overclocking possiblities are tremendous. DDR Ram isn't too bad right now either.

I picked up the mobo at SR-Systems Inc.

The chip at Accubyte.com .

The memory at NeutronUSA.com

And the cooling fan w/heatsink (Thermalright SK6) at Hardcorecooling.

The stuff arrived on Tuesday and Wed. after I ordered on Thursday.

Good Luck,
Wedo

How much can the Shuttle ak31 be overclocked ?

Wedo : I checked the site from where you got your MOBOs, and didn't find it. Any idea where I can find one ?

EDIT : any idea where to find a Duron 1.1GHz in Ontario, Canada ? And the Shuttle in Canada ?

If you call SR-Systems, they have the Shuttle Ak31. I found them on PriceWatch.com.

Your right though, the board is not up on their website.

cheers,
Wedo

Back