• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New(?) External Power Supply for PCs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MVC

I just saw this.
I can see advantages to having the PSU outside the case, but I can see problems with it as well. So, is this a "fad" or the "wave of the future"?

would be useful in a low profile htpc case that won't fit an atx psu or uses some cheap proprietary psu

and it really isn't that good of an idea to put a fanless psu inside the case, as the heat build up has to be dissipated in some way...and adding case fans is kind of contrary to the point of a fanless psu. There are those fanless psus with the heatsink that sticks outside the case, but this would be a good alternative.

Bacchana1 said:
would be useful in a low profile htpc case that won't fit an atx psu or uses some cheap proprietary psu

and it really isn't that good of an idea to put a fanless psu inside the case, as the heat build up has to be dissipated in some way...and adding case fans is kind of contrary to the point of a fanless psu. There are those fanless psus with the heatsink that sticks outside the case, but this would be a good alternative.
Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking. There are applications where getting the PSU out of the case could be useful, though I can see problems as well for any machine that gets moved from time to time. And, I wasn't thinking of using this particular unit--a 600w PSU for $50-$60 is probably very low quality. But, the concept of having the PSU as a seperate component, external to the the "computer" (sort of like plugging in a different printer) is a new, at least to me, concept. One that I think merits at least some consideration.

I like the Idea. frees up a lot of space and gives some good wire management ideas.

But if you check the tiger link, it just shows a standard MGE PSU. which are generally low quality. That psu has to be more that 60 bucks.

if they make that, with a power button to turn it on..then it'll be useful

stunt said:
I like the Idea. frees up a lot of space and gives some good wire management ideas.

But if you check the tiger link, it just shows a standard MGE PSU. which are generally low quality. That psu has to be more that 60 bucks.
I never followed the link, I was just looking at the pics in the article and the price in the heading. And, I don't think I'd ever buy anything from Tiger Direct--they've got to have the worst rep for screwing people over. It's the idea that interested me. I've always thought of the PSU as part of the computer, but if its an external plug-in (like a printer or scanner), not an integral part of the "system", then that leaves open a lot of possibilities....

veryhumid said:
silent pc people will love it, but how do you get the cables into the case without it looking really crappy?
Well, going by the pictures, there are 2 ATX like cables that go from the PSU to a plate mounted where the PSU normally goes and the wires are modular on the inside of the plate so you can run the wires to where they need to go. The cable they show is pretty short, but it could easily be lengthened and sleeved so aesthetically it might even look better than any of the cables currently plugged into the back of a computer.

Back