• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing AS-5 and MX-1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wellnessoc5

I just bought an arctic cooling freezer 64 pro from newegg, and noticed it comes with arctic cooling's brand of thermal paste, MX-1. I decided to look it up, and I discovered that many people that wrote reviews say that MX-1 is supposedly better than Arctic silver 5. I have touted Arctic Silver as the best paste availible for a long time, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with MX-1, or know how it compares to AS-5. Also, I would like to ask if anyone knows if it is possible to mix the two without any adverse effects. Thanks for your help!

<----------------------MX-1 Reviews----------------------->
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100401

Last edited:
If I were you I wouldn't mix them. You're probably going to diminish the performance of both the products so that the mix is worse than either by themselves. Just choose on and go with it. If you have time, try both and see what you get better results with.

I tend to agree with omega...you could end up with somthing REALY bad depending on the chemical makeup of the two different TIMs. Maybe when you mix them they become extremly corrosive....or maybe they work fine or even better than each one alone. But why waste a perfectly good HS and posibly CPU by taking chances with this?

If you still want to do it I'd test it on somthing I don't care much about first.

I wasn't dead-set on doing it or anything, I was just wondering if it was a common practice. My real question is how MX-1 compares to AS5.

Its a toss up. Some people have had better results with MX1 than AS5, other people have had better performance with AS5, and still others contest Cermique is better than both of them. The honest answer is you should try it and see how it performs. The AS guys have said in the past that how well a thermal paste performs depends a lot on the IHS/Die and that they build their thermal pastes so that they work with the middle ground of IHSes. Thats why some people get better performance with ASC over AS5. They work better on certain IHSed. Iirc the proportionality of optimum performance is something like 70/30 AS5/ASC or something like that. I imagine MX1 fits into the same spectrum as Ceramique as it is closer to that than it is to AS5 iirc.

Moto7451 said:
Its a toss up. Some people have had better results with MX1 than AS5, other people have had better performance with AS5, and still others contest Cermique is better than both of them. The honest answer is you should try it and see how it performs. The AS guys have said in the past that how well a thermal paste performs depends a lot on the IHS/Die and that they build their thermal pastes so that they work with the middle ground of IHSes. Thats why some people get better performance with ASC over AS5. They work better on certain IHSed. Iirc the proportionality of optimum performance is something like 70/30 AS5/ASC or something like that. I imagine MX1 fits into the same spectrum as Ceramique as it is closer to that than it is to AS5 iirc.

Thank's man! you gave me some very helpful information

The MX-1 is silicon based and I don't think it will mix and the two pastes will separate after a while and create air pockets. At least this is my theory...
BTW, I'm using MX-1 all the time and its a fine paste.

i myself have mixed AS ceramique with mx-1 with no adverse effects. i got the AC freezer pro and wasnt in the mood to clean off the mx-1, so i did a quick mix with ceramique. i dont know if there was a difference in temps however, but there was definately no rise. i previously had the slk-948 on my 3200 claw with a 92 tornado and was averaging about 24 idle and 34 load. after the change temps went to 20 idle and 28 load. g/l

Back