• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake BigTyphoon or Zalman CNPS9500 or Sythe Ninja?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natewildes

All three coolers have great reviews and temps, but does anyone have personal experience with any one? The Zalman is about $10-$15 more expensive, but as it's solid copper, I forgive them ; ). The Zalman looks like it may be slighty more noisy, as it has a 92mm fan vs the BT and Ninja's included 120mm. I'm in a Sonata II case, so I don't think I'll have clearance problems.
What I really need to know, is which one will provide the best cooling:noise ratio, and what fan would be the best match with the Ninja so it wouldn't be noisier than the other two. Cost is not an issue, and neither is size or weight.
Thanks!

I have a Big Typhoon and I love it. The stock fan is pretty quiet (replaced it with 120x38mm Sanyo Denki) with very good performance. The BT bolts on and it's not super-heavy (most of the weight's in the base) so my board doesn't really bend with it on or anything. The Ninja ranks pretty high in most reviews and would be pretty impressive with 2 120mm fans. I was originally going to get it but my mobo's NB is right beside the CPU socket so I was worried about clearance issues close to the board. As far as size, they're about the same with the Ninja being taller. The only issue I could think of with the Ninja is it doesn't have a fan blowing down, so your mosfets/RAM/nb wouldn't get any cooling from it. Zalman coolers are a little too loud at full-blast for my tastes, so I tend to skip them, but alot of people really like them.

All I'm going to say is that from SPCRs standpoint, the Zalman 9500 is A) Not quiet and B) at best, a mediocre cooler.

No idea about BT vs. Ninja (with or without fan). Either of those should be fine. I like the Ninja, but that's solely because I can run it passive.

i have the zalman, and it works great. only problem is it's a little tricky to install. and you can bend the fins pretty easily so u have to be real careful. i don't think my ultra-d is reporting temps accurately. they might be but idle i'm getting 25c and 29-31 load running dual prime. my vcore is at 1.45 with my antec p18. case has 4 120mm fans and hs is blowing it strait to my back exhaust fan. i had the hyper 6 and eliminator 2 from ocz, but this one gave me the best cooling yet. the big typhoon looks nice, but don't have personal experience with it. i took the zalman b/c it was available immediatly, but quite pricey. in the long run it's all up to you. either hs will work great for you.

Back