• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900 GTX Overclock Results?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Indyxc1

Hey guys,

Every thread so far has been mostly 7900 GT overclocks. I'm curious to find out how most 7900 GTX are doing.

So post what your highest artifact FREE overclocks.

Card: XFX 7900 GTX Extreme 675/850

Doesn't seem to be too great, I'm considering RMAing it though (not for OC reasons)

Max Core is: ~695 mhz after that odd artifacts appear in BF2
Max Memory is: ~875 mhz after that problems in BF2.

So it's a weak overclocker.

Not only that, but ocassionally randomly the screen flashes like it does when Coolbit detects speeds.

Likewise, at stock speeds when I exit BF2 the screen has all these odds lines appear, then my computer freezes. Not to mention in 2d mode some programs images with begin to distort.

Anyone else had this happen?
Thanks

Well, looks like mine is defective. Worked on overclocking it today, and it didn't do much at all. I never overclock it past 690 or so, because it would artifact right away. Kept lowering it bit, by bit, then made it back to stock setting.

It artifacts at stock speed after a long while, oh the pleasure. Guess I never played long enough like tonight to see this. Looks like this but keeps getting worse. Oddly it starts in 2d with text, and then 3d some time later.

http://img226.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen003118lu.jpg

Great :bang head

nVidia has gotten into a bad habit of releaseing cards with RAM issues. The 6800U also had issues like this (they were BFGs)

Most likely a BIOS fix will emerge, however in the meantime id send it back

Sentential said:
nVidia has gotten into a bad habit of releaseing cards with RAM issues. The 6800U also had issues like this (they were BFGs)

Most likely a BIOS fix will emerge, however in the meantime id send it back

Thanks for the advice. I would of never thought it was the memory. Well it is. I underclocked the memory to 825, and the core to 715, and it ran just fine for 20 some odd mins.

Then I lowered the core to 650, and raised the memory to 900, and the corruption as seen above appeared in less than 5 mins.

So it comes down to the memory. I was wondering why the memory on the 7900 GTX was clocked slower than the 7800 GTX. Well I guess we know, it's because the 7900 GTX apparently has problems.

Odd this is a lot of people seem to make it to 900+ no problem on the memory.

Indyxc1 said:
Odd this is a lot of people seem to make it to 900+ no problem on the memory.
Its an issue of timings not the RAM. The first revisions from BFG were set to the wrong spec and alot of cards were artifracing because the timings were set way too tight. eVGA released a BIOS update as did BFG and the problem was solved.

They peformed slower as a result howver they clocked considerably higher as well as running at their speced speed without issue.

Sentential said:
Its an issue of timings not the RAM. The first revisions from BFG were set to the wrong spec and alot of cards were artifracing because the timings were set way too tight. eVGA released a BIOS update as did BFG and the problem was solved.

They peformed slower as a result howver they clocked considerably higher as well as running at their speced speed without issue.

any idea on what the timings were adjusted to?

Sentential said:

Where did you find that information?

Do you think the process is similiar on the XFX? If that is requiered is to change the timing specs, than I can do that myself and not RMA it. If XFX is not publishing the change, and the new revisions come with the change, them I'm gonna RMA it.

Problem is the cards are out of stock at most reliable places.

Back