Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Can companies not give you water?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 03-24-06, 07:19 PM Thread Starter   #1
TekeTorvo

Can companies not give you water?

I am a Construction Superintendent. I build Commercial buildings. EVERY Commercial build-out has to have a High and a Low drinking fountain. The High and Low is because of ADA standards, and I understand the reasoning behind it. I also understand the reasoning behind the drinking fountains themselfs as well. Water is a necessity of life, and must be provided to the public.

Fast food/Convient Stores are exempt from drinking fountains, as long as they sell water, (I don't quite agree with this one, but for now lets say I do).

What I don't agree with, is if a little old lady can't pay her water bill, the City will cut her water off.

Recap; They require water to be provided to the public at ALL Public and Private Businesses, but yet they cut the water off if you can't pay your bill. Is water not needed at home as much as it is at a business? Is cutting off the essential of life even legal? I mean really!
TekeTorvo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-24-06, 07:28 PM   #2
tyshy

A good point, the unfortunate issues dealing with capitalism, because the old lady should be treated as equal as the college student correct?...either one of them doesn't pay the water bill they get it shut off....so now we deal with the issue that arises where nobody should pay for water? Then the water quality would just go completely downhill, and people would just end up spending more money on bottled water, water softeners, and building wells. So where water should be free, it does cost money to stay alive, suvival of the fittest i guess you could call it

Heatware
tyshy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-24-06, 08:14 PM   #3
zexmarquies01

yeah, Tyshy is correct.

Water IS needed. But it costs money to keep the water treatment plants going. costs money to build huge water towers, to keep water pumped into those towers.

Sure, water COULD be free. but it would be super low quality, and we'd all get sick.

Its probably the quality we are paying for. you can get almost anything for free. but the quality won't be that good. And its the same with water.

EVGA GTX 460
HAF 932 Tower

"Talking about how fast you beat a game is like talking about how fast you are in bed."
Do you like Anime? Then join the OCF anime club! OCF Anime Club Click here, and click JOIN!
zexmarquies01 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-24-06, 09:15 PM   #4
ajrettke

10 Year Badge

well as for the fast food places, you still have to pay for it...so it's no different than your home.
I don't see a problem with it honestly, I mean I feel bad that some people can't get what they need, but we don't and can't live in a utopian world.

2x4gb PC16000
256GB Samsung 840
Sennheiser HDR-120's
Dell U2713HM
"Computer games dont affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, wed all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitve electonic dance music..." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
ajrettke is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-24-06, 10:13 PM   #5
SolidxSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrettke
well as for the fast food places, you still have to pay for it...so it's no different than your home.
I don't see a problem with it honestly, I mean I feel bad that some people can't get what they need, but we don't and can't live in a utopian world.

fast food places give free water... i jsut got some today at BK. walked in, asked for a water cup, and they gave it to me.

i7-2600 4001MHz @ 39x102.6~ASRock P67 Fatal1ty Professional~MSI N580GTX Lightning 1536MB @ 1000//2400 @ 1.149v~8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24~256GB Samsung 830 SSD and 60GB OCZ Vertex~2x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TBs in RAID1 ~BFG ES-800 PSU
Custom Watercooling Loop | Apogee GT, MCW82, MCP35x + Res, Thermochill PA120.2 and 120.3 (both rev1) w/ Gentle Typhoon AP-15s pull, 7/16"x5/8" MasterKleer, 100% Distilled Water with Iodine ---All encased in a Silverstone TJ07B-W
Join in on the fun! Heatware OCForums Metal Club member #13224

SolidxSnake is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-24-06, 11:14 PM   #6
Shelnutt2
Overclockers Team Content Editor

If yu gave water free, then sewage would have to be free. If sewage was free then how would my father who works at a water reclamiation facility (sounds harmless right? got to love politcal correct terms), Aka a sewer plant get paid? See if water was free it'd go alot further.

Want to run the folding@home gpu client in linux?
www.linuxfah.info

Your teacher is a dumbass. The equation is exact. ~Frodo Baggins
Damn....It's 12:00 AM and I thought my 805 would be a magic pumkin and turn into a conroe.........boy was I fooled:) ~Stilletto
This is what I get for not only being a newb, but also disregarding instructions! ~ShadowPho
I hate women... but im not gay lol. ~MrCrowley
Love can fade but knowledge stays forever (unless you develop alzheimers). ~Constantinos
Shelnutt2 is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-24-06, 11:29 PM   #7
Enablingwolf
Senior Member overclocking at the speed of plaid

Time to drop a well head and not worry about it.

Water is a nessesary part of life. To bad it is considered an utility. With most essential services there is limits on how/when it can be turned off. If an elderly person allows a bill to go delinquent and not see the notices. I really would not know what to say. They always send them telling of the impending cut off of the service and the alternatives. Most places will send literature showing that there is help paying for the service.

In cold climate areas, in Winter. There is a freeze on turning off of services. You can even skip out on a gas bill and electric bill. Once the outside ambient goes up to a cetrain level your burnt and liable even further. If it is detremantal to existance, it cannot be turned off.

My argument is that water can gotten from other then a tap in a home. So it may be exempt from exclusions as an essential service. In any climate.

No one ever expects Aloysius Snuffleupagus

Last edited by Enablingwolf; 03-24-06 at 11:35 PM.
Enablingwolf is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-06, 12:29 AM   #8
Mr. $T$

10 Year Badge

Having clean drinkable treated water delivered is a service and you pay for. Going to a river or stream is the way to bipass this service.
Mr. $T$ is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-06, 01:46 AM   #9
techun

so lets say you dont pay for the water, you pay for the delivery of water?

that way water's always free, just not free delivery of it?

7200.11 500gig
techun is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-06, 06:53 AM   #10
zexmarquies01

Quote:
Originally Posted by techun
so lets say you dont pay for the water, you pay for the delivery of water?

that way water's always free, just not free delivery of it?

pretty much. It costs the city alot of money to put down all those pipes, all those water towers, Water treatment plants, Sewage treatment plants. the workers. And the upkeep cost of keeping everything running.

your not really paying for the water. your paying the city to make sure they get fresh,clean water to your house.

EVGA GTX 460
HAF 932 Tower

"Talking about how fast you beat a game is like talking about how fast you are in bed."
Do you like Anime? Then join the OCF anime club! OCF Anime Club Click here, and click JOIN!
zexmarquies01 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-06, 07:21 AM   #11
diehrd
Senior SMP Gawd

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekeTorvo
I am a Construction Superintendent. I build Commercial buildings. EVERY Commercial build-out has to have a High and a Low drinking fountain. The High and Low is because of ADA standards, and I understand the reasoning behind it. I also understand the reasoning behind the drinking fountains themselfs as well. Water is a necessity of life, and must be provided to the public.

Fast food/Convient Stores are exempt from drinking fountains, as long as they sell water, (I don't quite agree with this one, but for now lets say I do).

What I don't agree with, is if a little old lady can't pay her water bill, the City will cut her water off.

Recap; They require water to be provided to the public at ALL Public and Private Businesses, but yet they cut the water off if you can't pay your bill. Is water not needed at home as much as it is at a business? Is cutting off the essential of life even legal? I mean really!
I am curious what you are complaining about ?

Are you suggesting we should be free from the cost of life's essential needs ?

If so then you would find your self in a nation dictated to and be on a communal work farm.

And in the example you are providing that old lady would most likely qualify for public asistance and not go a day with out water
diehrd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-06, 08:21 AM Thread Starter   #12
TekeTorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehrd
I am curious what you are complaining about ?
Why is it, if someone post's a debate, it is considered complaining? Am I not allowed to think about what goes on around me? Am I not allowed to question what goes on around me, and ask the thoughts of others on the subject?
Old 03-25-06, 08:54 AM   #13
Malpine Walis
Disabled

Quote:
Why is it, if someone post's a debate, it is considered complaining? Am I not allowed to think about what goes on around me? Am I not allowed to question what goes on around me, and ask the thoughts of others on the subject?
Well, I wonder if you may have misunderstood Diehrd. Although, in all honesty, I am not sure where he was going with that.

However, while you are right to characterize this as a debate, it can be in the nature of debates that sometimes any of us may not be clear on a given point of view. But just for grins, let's say that you take up a position and someone else reads it as a complaint. Well, a position can also be a complaint and there is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't have to be about being allowed to hold that position.

That being said, others have pointed out that the delivery of potable water is a service that requires a large capital expense to establish the facilities and further large expenses to meet payroll and maintain the physical plant. All of which is going to be paid for somewhere along the lines. If not in the form of user fees the payment would come out of taxes. The money is part of the matter and the only way to remove the money would be to not perform the activity in the first place.

Now the thing is that if we did not have the ability to collect water in reservoirs outside of the city, clean it up and move it into the area where it was needed, it would not be possible to live with the population density that we know in large cities today. Scale water production back to the way that it was 200 years ago and the largest collection of people that you would ever see would be about what it was back then anyway. So paying for water is a price not only for the water itself but for everything that comes out of modern society.

If water was free, you would have to bring a bucket or two down to the river every morning to get your daily supply, which is hard work. But then too, you would be doing all other types of hard work simply because you would not be able to hop on the bus and go to the grocery store. Without water delivery, there would be no metals industry to make the bus or the delivery trucks that make grocery stores possible. You would have to hitch up the wagon to go into town once a month to buy the stuff that you could not make at home and everything that you could make at home would be at a minimum time consuming, if not further hard work.

So paying a bit of cash for your water is an essential part of living in a society where you can pay for just about everything in cash. Made possible from the fact that you can work at a job that pays enough for you to buy what you need. Although I would bet that any job that you work at is also dependent on our society working the way it does and water not exactly being free.

To be honest, the whole question makes me think about our grandchildren living on the moon and some of them trying to argue that air should be free because it is essential to life. Yes, it is essential but just where would it come from in that case?
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-06, 10:13 AM   #14
diehrd
Senior SMP Gawd

10 Year Badge

Quote:

You are free to think and post as you like,,

I am not trying to cause conflict

I assumed incorrectly you where complaining and even when i re-read it I still sense a complaint that water is provided to ever yone (by law) except a poor old woman who can not pay her bill , yet that is not true at all as she gets the water free with government assistance any way (A unique set of laws designed to help those who have trouble helping them selves )

Some countries have free water...Like African nations..Just dig a well , get it from rain , or a stream or river,And if those sources are dried up then your example may hold true..But it can not happen in any industrial nation equipped to bill for the water and deliver it to your tap

My point is valid and that it makes your question not as strong as you would like is not my fault,Reality is Reality. .
diehrd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-06, 11:27 AM Thread Starter   #15
TekeTorvo

My original post was more of a, "Things that make you go Hmmmm".

I have given this ALOT of thought before I posted. So far, all of the replies were accurate, and expected. It is just something to ponder on, and Malpine is correct. It isn't so much of a debate. I should not have used that word. More of, a conversation piece. Which I guess in a way is a debate. Either way, something to make you go Hmmm. There are a few other things in the building codes that I see as non-essential as well. This was the one that stood out the most.
Old 03-25-06, 11:52 AM   #16
damarble

I think that nobody should have a free ride, and being billed for water is perfectly acceptable.

But I've got a flip side to your first post. If everyone has to pay for water, why are public buildings forced to provide it free? Why not have vending machines, or coin operated water fountains? Think about that.

Antec P180B | Seasonic S12-500 | ASUS P5B Deluxe | E6600 C2D | ATI HD5770 | OCZ Reaper PC6400 2x2GB | 2TB total storage | 2x HP 23" LCD | Logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers | Logitech G15 and G5 DELUXE

My HEAT

damarble is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-06, 11:58 AM   #17
kayson

I don't think you're paying for water. You're paying for the cost of cleaning the water and ensuring that you will never run out (ignoring all ecological issues like wasting water). If someone chooses not to pay to have clean or guaranteed water, they can still get water from a river. It would be nice to get this for free, but it costs the government money to maintain a healthy water supply, and the citizens provide the money for the government.

G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB DDR3-1866
EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 760
Corsair HX850
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Thermalright Venomous X || 2x 120mm Panaflo || Arctic Silver V
Lian-Li PC-A77FA || Vantec Nexus Fan Controller
(Build Journal)
Heatware
kayson is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-06, 12:01 PM   #18
threeme2189

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidxSnake
fast food places give free water... i jsut got some today at BK. walked in, asked for a water cup, and they gave it to me.
yeah most of the time a restaurant or fast food place will be nice and give you a cup of water for free.

Crappy 80 Gig HDD :: Sony CD Burner/dvd drive + CD drive

If You'll Excuse Me, I Have A Beam Of Light To Catch.
threeme2189 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-06, 07:27 PM   #19
skou
Senior

10 Year Badge

The thing we're talking about here, is drinking fountains. I'd be REAL surprised, if a drinking fountain was metered, and the bill was more than $1.00 a year. (Assuming it was just for the water, and there wasn't a minimum.) The fixture is going to cost more. In your house, I'd be surprised, if you drink 1 or 2 % of the water you use.

Now, let's bring up free stuff. OK, someone wants free water, why not food? Why not shelter, clothes, or transportation? All of them are required for life.

steve

It was great while it lasted, but my other home is gone.

steve
skou is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-26-06, 11:34 PM   #20
eab

You are not paying for the water persay but for the convenience of clean water on tap in your house.
eab is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.