• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium EE - Pro and Con? If any?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enven

I was just on the T's.Hardware page...and noticed the new Pentium EE 3.73Ghz 965 Processors...

I am a tad skeptical on any of these newer Processors..The fact that they're so new and the technology is not yet up to speed...I.E. OS' (64bit is fairly new and still lacking some of the proper app's imo) are still being released; the application software is still coming out...Hell I think (Only think..Do not know for sure) that only 1-2 AV's are out for it...At that even...

My guestimate of purchasing these processors is probably by the end of Summer/Fall Quarter...

Anyone care to engage in this conversation with some points and facts/ideas/criticisms to this...?

For me...Seeing C1 speed(s) come up was something...

A downer for me is the price of the CPU in general..To me spending over 400 dollars for a CPU is madness...

-Enven.

althought i know next to nothing about the current intel cpus besides conroe..

i agree that over 400 for a cpu is madness

Well crazy thee Extreme Editions can often even out perform AMD chips, so if you want to be the absolute top and not just among the top dozen and you have the money these type of chips are perfect for you. Though I would never pay that much because the performance gain you get with theses EE chips over a regular one is gone in a couple of months and you are still out a good chunk of change, for some people that just does not matter. As for 64bit, though I do agree the support is not really there yet. Someday it will be, and someday it will be a mandatory feature of the CPU, so by providing these chips with that ability to do 64bit now they are helping future proof them.

i've run both the Single core P4EE 3.73 single core and the 955XE dual core, and they are pretty nice CPU's, however i could never justify paying the $ 1000.00+ price tag for them. Honestly the FX-60's look more interesting if i had that kind of money to throw around

~ Gos

The XE are very nice CPU.. but the cost makes it just so unattractive, unless you can really afford them.

The key difference between a Pressler and the new XE, is that the XE is Dual Core and HyperTHreaindg. Well.. that is the way it is with the Smithfield XE.

I also believe the XE has unlocked multi.

If money is no object, then get the XE.. and get an FX60 too :)

SAD

Back