• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB problems with ME

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lclark2074

USB problems with ME
When I put any device into USB port its only puts in hub no mater what I put in it
Like pen drives that are supported by me.
When I look in device manager it has a question mark on the device I put in
I then I remove the device in device manager and the computer reboots to no avail.
For the pen drive I have reinstalled the usbstor.inf file for pen drives
Also is there a good software to see what the computer is seeing with the devices in USB port

Is this a USB 2.0 or 1.1 hub you've connected the device to? Win9x OS's like 98 and Me don't support USB 2.0, so unless the device came with 2.0 drivers written specifically for Me, your only option is to use USB 1.1

Benvanz said:
Light a fire under the hard drive :)

most times i would just toss out of my mind anything you say ben..but after one installs ME, they might as well start a fire.

windows 98 is better imo

wizard james said:
most times i would just toss out of my mind anything you say ben..but after one installs ME, they might as well start a fire.

windows 98 is better imo

You learned well young grasshoppa' :rolleyes:

lclark2074 said:
USB problems with ME
When I put any device into USB port its only puts in hub no mater what I put in it
Like pen drives that are supported by me.
When I look in device manager it has a question mark on the device I put in
I then I remove the device in device manager and the computer reboots to no avail.
For the pen drive I have reinstalled the usbstor.inf file for pen drives
Also is there a good software to see what the computer is seeing with the devices in USB port

Please see my previous similar response as follows:

Indeed MS Win98SE OS does NOT support USB2 but, depending on your motherboard's chipset/maker, your Motherboard's manufacturer may publish their own version of chipset specific USB2 drivers for W98SE instead. I used to have similar problems with my W98SE with nF2 chipset, but it was all resolved after I downloaded and properly installed the nF2 USB2 drivers for W98SE from Abit. So go and check with your motherboard's Web Site as you may feel lucky!!!

Back