• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Important question. new hd new os disc same comp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

I am thinking of replacing my hardrive.

Problem is i dont have my windows disc. This is a older computer which was prebuilt using the companies windows install disc. I do not have that HOWEVER i do still have the key.

My installation is oem.

If i use a windows oem disc and use the code that the computer is registered with should i be aight?

To sum it up.

Same computer setup except im replacing the Hardrive
Same windows key but im using a different oem disc.
Would it even matter since the discs are the same anyway?
or did the factory do something to there disc that wont let it use another key?

I've let friends with pre-builts borrow a disk to reformat(using thier key). It worked for them, so I assume it would work fine for you as well.

Yes it would work. I have done it with a compaq and a dell. Make sure it is the same windows version, like xp sp1 or something like that.

I don't think it will work. Try finding an XP OEM install disc with sp1. And this is home edition, right?

I don't think MS will care. You can look for just a disc on ebay. One branded to the computer you want to install it on or a generic one will do fine.

Back