• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux for web design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moon_dog

Registered
hey,

sorry if this is a noob question but is linux recommended for people who do web design/development? or is the windows platform more suitable?

The Linux platform is a widely used webserver platform often used with Apache and MySQL for cost reasons and stability, Linux also scales and performs well in this enviroment.
With regards to web design, Linux has all the tools available such as Nvu, Quanta Plus and Bluefish, its also possible to run popular Windows web development tools under Wine.

Linux is a great platform for learning all aspects of web Development and server management

ok, so linux is great for web development and server management. but how about web design? is it recommended for this sort of work or is the windows platform better?

depends on what programs you want to use. if your going to be doing text html then it really doesn't matter but if you need a specific program that only runs in windows and doesn't have a decent linux alternative, your probably better off to use windows instead of monkeying around with wine or crossover office in linux.

moon_dog said:
ok, so linux is great for web development and server management. but how about web design? is it recommended for this sort of work or is the windows platform better?

yeah i would recomend getting a windows for compatibly, i assume that you are using programs like dreamweaver, frontpage. if your just writing straight html and the like then linux would be more stable.

I often design website's using this platform.. I personally run Kubuntu Linux which is the same as ubuntu which is widely used on these forums but features the KDE desktop (ubuntu uses the gnome desktop).. to develop websites I use Nvu as I find this very flexible while creating reasonable quality code.
I also run Macromedia Flash in Crossover Office as I have not yet found a Linux alternative I like. Its also possible to run Macromedia Flash in Wine which most Linux distros come with.
I personally use Kasablanca as my FTP client to upload the sites to the webservers.
I use TheGimp to edit and create graphics which is a powerfull photoshop type graphic application.
With the wide range of browers available under Linux its possible to see how your site will appear to a wide range of different users when testing it.

I find Linux pefrectly acceptable to do web development on

Last edited:
so what linux distro would you guys recommend? i'm pretty much a noob with linux.

You can even run IE in wine, which is important, since you will be spending 90% of your time getting things that work fine in FF, Opera, Konqueror, Safari, etc, to actually look like they should in IE.

I run Kubuntu as that has a wide range of Web Development applications available to it in the ubuntu apt-repository and believe that it performs exceptionally well in this enviroment

Back