• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung vs Hitachi Hds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ctbrown said:
I'm going to buy a couple HDs in the near future and would like opinions on my two top choices:

HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 HDT722525DLA380 (0A31636) 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145087

or

SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2504C 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822152025

Thanks

Performance wise, the Hitachis have an edge. However, the Samsung should be slightly quieter and that price is really hard to pass up. Either way you are getting some great drives.

there still pretty slow but if this is more for static files then go ahead, but if you are gaming or using large apps. then atleast get a drive with a 7500 speed

there still pretty slow but if this is more for static files then go ahead, but if you are gaming or using large apps. then atleast get a drive with a 7500 speed

Both these drives are 7200rpm. I've never heard of a 7500rpm drive (typo?). Of course 10,00 RPM would be faster.

Really slow? Yeah right! Hitachis are the seek kings (save raptors) but the latest Samsungs simply PWN.

THG review - One thing I really hate about THG is the fact that practically all reviews of hard drives never seem to have Samsung's numbers in them. But here you can see how the two newer P120s stack up to the competition.

The Samsungs will be much quieter and certainely wont meow on you (not sure the Hitachis still do this though). I have the 250GB SATA and its a great drive. Notably faster than my P80 160GB.

Ok, so I pulled the trigger on three of the Samsungs. Will regular SATA cables work if I'm want to use the drive in SATA II mode?

ctbrown said:
Ok, so I pulled the trigger on three of the Samsungs. Will regular SATA cables work if I'm want to use the drive in SATA II mode?

CAbles are the same, you will need to look for the utility to unlock the sata2 features on the hard drive. For hitachi its called Ftool. And it also lets you adjust the acoustics of the harddrive also. As well as enabling/ disabling spread spectrum :)

I assum that Samsung does the same.

I have a 40gig samsung. It's a little slower than my 80gig WD (both drives are SATA II) according to the benchmarks I ran, I dont remember the numbers right now, so Im not going to guesstimate. But I really can't tell the difference. The Samsung does have NCQ enabled, and I hear that hurts performance, so that might be why it performed slower in the tests.

Back