• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS to buy Lionhead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dunno I always wanted to like black and white but never could get into them much... Number 2 was kind of disappointing for me though fun for a while.

Wow I'll be extremely disappointed in Peter Moleneux if this goes through, Microsoft single handedly ruined Halo when they bought Bungie.

fuzzba11 said:
Wow I'll be extremely disappointed in Peter Moleneux if this goes through, Microsoft single handedly ruined Halo when they bought Bungie.
I don't understand. :eh?: Are you referring to Halo 1, because the game would not have been any different even if MS hadn't bought them. I think it was pretty damn good, and you can't tell me that the early Macworld stuff looked any better than the post-MS buyout final product. You must be referring to Halo 2, which may or may not be MS's fault. The fact of the matter is that in the end publishers(or parent companies) can put a good deal of influence on games, especially when it comes to cutting out features or watering down things just to meet deadlines(and Bungie sure as hell had plenty of time to work on H2), but ultimately it is not fair to say "company x" totally screwed up a game just because they were the primary source of funding.

Bungie had already stated before that a year into development of Halo 2, they realized they really didn't have anything to show for their work(except that really cool teaser video which didn't mean very much in the end) and they had to rebuild everything from the ground up(including the game engine itself). They are the ones who "knew all along" that Halo's story was going to be a trilogy. They are the ones who cut out stuff like the ATV or the massive Earth battles that they promised. Bungie made the game, they decided what features made it or got cut, they made the engine, and they took accountability for all of that. Hell, in documentary videos the devs actually explain why a lot of things got cut or turned out a certain way. And never ever will you hear them say "well MS told us to take this out."

So I would like to hear exactly why you think Microsoft screwed over the Halo games.

dfonda said:
Thats mostly true if it was not for MS the operating system 99% of us uses would be free and some sheik would be the richest guy in the world. :p

Free my butt, lol.

No one would spend the time to make things idiot proof enough for the average user and then give it away for free. Linux is proof that no one can put togather something the mainstream can use for free. Its probably our own fault for letting corperations get away with murder and letting them buy our government officials, but thats way, way off topic.

Anyway, I agree that MS didn't mess up Halo, MS did screw up by letting Bungie have too much freedom when they should have been demanding results and setting deadlines. Bungie had a hell of a long time to make Halo 2 and could have easily done a better job on the single player. I think MP was exellent though.

Prodigious said:
So I would like to hear exactly why you think Microsoft screwed over the Halo games.
When the first videos and screenshots of Halo were released, it really looked like the next big thing. Then Microsoft decides that it will be the next big thing, and even though they had no input into development, they could afford the throw money at Bungie. I'm generally not anti-Microsoft, but Halo is a big exception.

1) Game is delayed for over a year to port it to Xbox
2) Doesn't come out on PC on release
3) Xbox exclusive means I'm supposed to shell out money for basically a 700MHz computer with a Geforce 3 - no thanks!
3) Also forces you to use an inferior console controller for FPS
4) When it is released for PC, it actually runs slower on my rig than on Xbox, despite increased power

Then Halo 2 comes out and what does it improve? Oh, we've got DUAL GUNS omg it's so awesome. :rolleyes: :bang head

Back