• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

have i reach my oc limit???? need advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayP

I noticed that my system can't boot when i change settings as follows:

133fsb*8.5, 1.85v = does not start

so then i tried:

134fsb*8.0, 1.85v = this error message appears,
"BIOS ROM checksum error...
Detecting floppy drive A media.
Insert System Disk and Press Enter."

I also tried lowering fsb as follows:

128fsb*8.5, 1.85v = ...and then i get the same error above.

Does this mean that my cpu can't get over 1080?
Need some advice...

]-[itman said:
What are your temps? Have you tried setting everything to default speeds and trying to boot?

yeah, it works at default speed...
do you know what the error message means?

hmmm does this happen when not oc'ing? I honestly am not sure what it means but if it happens at default also we'll go from there.

I had the same error (and tons more) whit my duron oc'ing

If u ask me its just max clock speed for ur cpu m8

But im not sure, others got a idea...

anyone else know what this BIOS ROM checksum error means? :confused:

In the bios there is a setting that won't let your computer bot if it is set to the wrong paramaters of your cpu.You need to make sure this is disabled.It should be on the same screen as where you are changing the fsb and mult.This might be your problem it's worth checking to see.

128fsb*8.5, 1.85v = ...and then i get the same error above.

at that setting your 1/4 divider has not kicked in so your pci bus speed is around 43mhz ,that could be causeing your problems ,set it to at least 133 then play with the multiplier.

*anyone else know what this BIOS ROM checksum error means?

I have had a few BIOS fail on me ,thats a sighn I got from one board a few times before thats all it would do.

wildone

my duron 700(@840) seems to have a limit similar to yours.

no matter which combination of fsb x multiplier i use i cant get it over 840 - 850 @ 1.85 volts then i start getting random errors.

I'm thinkin I need more voltage and when i get my ic grabber for the voltage mod (hopefully tomorrow) i'll find out. i'll let ya know how it goes.

Heavy

thanks for all the help guys! when i get home i'll be sure to try out all your ideas...

i'll post my results later tonight :)

i think i've reached my limit for this duron...

it now stands as 850@1064, 133*8.0, 1.775v
when i try to up the multiplier to 8.5, 1.85v it doesn't even boot up...

i did get it to 1079.5 (127fsb*8.5,1.85v) but got that stupid BIOS ROM checksum error...detecting floppy drive A media. Insert system disk and press enter. blah blah blah!!!

i remember getting it to 133fsb*8.5, 1.85v once before but after i tried to reboot i got the famous dumb bios thingy again :mad:

does this have anything to do with way i unlocked the cpu with pencil? maybe it's wearing down already... any other thougts?

i also question the reliability of the pencil trick. however, i can set my multiplier to anything from 5.5 to 8.5 so i know its working, at least for now. i also unlocked my l7 bridges and my default voltage is now 1.85 so i know that worked.

right now im runnin at 152 x 5.5 for 836 mhz. if i try goin to 153 - no boot.
i've had it set to every combination you can think of to try to get past 850 mhz.
100 x 8.5 works - 100x 9 don't
106 x 8 works - 107 x 8 don't
113 x 7.5 works - 115 x 7.5 don't
etc. etc.
and as i said before 152 x 5.5 works - 153 doesn't.
and when i say they don't work i mean either they just dont post or i get various error messages - some similar to yours.

so here's what i figure
i know my fsb can go to 152 and no matter what i try i cant break 850ish.
obviously something besides fsb and multiplier is limiting my oc because they seem to work fine.
i figure that pretty much leaves voltage as the solution.
anyone feel free to tell me if im wrong. i just find it hard to believe that 850 is my limit. actually i refuse to accept that 850 is my limit. :)

I should get my ic grabber in the mail today and i'll be doin the voltage mod. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Heavy

Back