• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does permanent burn-in exist ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordvader

Registered
Though this is a cooling type question, I think it's more suited to this forum:

Is there such thing as permanent burn in ? I have an athlong xp 2.0GHz. For about a year, I ran it at 2.3GHz until I started getting instability, so now it's running at 2.2 GHz.

Thing is, I've just replaced my HSF, and I'm getting cooling issues. I beleive it's due to the fact that the thermal compound is still settling (it's becoming more and more stable during stress testing).

While the compound is settling, I'd like to run my CPU at it's default speed. However, my system no longer boots when I clock it at 2 GHz (though it will boot at XP1800+ speeds ...)!

Does the concept of permanent burn-in actually exist, or is my system just weird ?

My mobo is a gigabyte 7n400 pro :D

did this happen after you switched the hsf or before ? sounds more like copper migration than a "burn-in" :)

D

I've actually been unable to revert to stock speeds for quite some time, it's only during HSF migration that it's becoming an issue.

I will know tonight whether my systems passed a 24hr torture test, but I'm curious about the stock speed issue. I'm going to have a go at resetting (and flashing) my bios, but I'm wondering if there's any physical basis for a CPU being "locked" at particular speeds.

lordvader said:
I've actually been unable to revert to stock speeds for quite some time, it's only during HSF migration that it's becoming an issue.

I will know tonight whether my systems passed a 24hr torture test, but I'm curious about the stock speed issue. I'm going to have a go at resetting (and flashing) my bios, but I'm wondering if there's any physical basis for a CPU being "locked" at particular speeds.

the stock speed not working is odd, this is a xp2400 right ? how are you setting it to stock ? auto or manual ? does it not boot at all or ... ?
yeah reseat the cpu&fan and reset the bios, that may help

no such thing as a locked speed

D

It happened to me on my old BIOS. I couldn't stock clock my rig anymore. After a considerable amount a tweaking and multiple reinstalls, I've gotten my processor to go back to stock speeds. Of course, it still won't do it under normal voltages though. I think my computer is just messed up.

ZL1 said:
the stock speed not working is odd, this is a xp2400 right ? how are you setting it to stock ? auto or manual ? does it not boot at all or ... ?
yeah reseat the cpu&fan and reset the bios, that may help

no such thing as a locked speed

D

Manually actually. I revert the multiplier to 10x, and then my system will refuse to post, with a series of annoying beeps. On reboot, it'll go into failsafe, XP 1800 speeds.

Tonight I'll have a serious tinker, I strongly beleive my CPU may even handle 2.4GHz one day ...

lordvader said:
Manually actually. I revert the multiplier to 10x, and then my system will refuse to post, with a series of annoying beeps. On reboot, it'll go into failsafe, XP 1800 speeds.

Tonight I'll have a serious tinker, I strongly beleive my CPU may even handle 2.4GHz one day ...

first - what cpu is it ?
second - set it to auto see if it works that way
third - what did you use for cooling before ? was it running hot ?

D

It's an athlon xp 2400+ (ie, 2GHz stock speed).

I can't test auto as I'm "busy" at work :D

And it ran pretty hot (without crashing mind you!). 2.3GHz on a hot day (high 30's) was pushing 70C !

lordvader said:
It's an athlon xp 2400+ (ie, 2GHz stock speed).

I can't test auto as I'm "busy" at work :D

And it ran pretty hot (without crashing mind you!). 2.3GHz on a hot day (high 30's) was pushing 70C !

ok your multi is 15, why were you trying to set it to 10 ? you need to set bios to 15x133mhz

was that load or idle ? if that's idle you need better cooling man

D

P.S. stability

Ah! I'm using a 200MHz bus with an 11x multiplier ATM (guess I should have mentioned that ...).

That 70C was my load temp (during prim95 or SETI crunching, and you better beleive it was stable for at least a year). Now my load temps are below 60C, and idling at about 50C (when at 2.2GHz).

Tonight (and for most of the week), I'll explore the limits more thoroughly :)

Damn I miss overclocking !

lordvader said:
Ah! I'm using a 200MHz bus with an 11x multiplier ATM (guess I should have mentioned that ...).

That 70C was my load temp (during prim95 or SETI crunching, and you better beleive it was stable for at least a year). Now my load temps are below 60C, and idling at about 50C (when at 2.2GHz).

Tonight (and for most of the week), I'll explore the limits more thoroughly :)

Damn I miss overclocking !

is that a mobile xp2400 ? Ive never seen a non-m 2400 that could handle such a fsb

70c load is not too bad

D

It's not a mobile. I just manually adjust the FSB in the BIOS.

ATM, I'm back at default, and am getting 52C under load (with fan on minimum), and 49C with fan on max.

Gonna try a little overclock now :)

I remember what my problem was. It wasn't certain frequencies that didn't work, but certain multipliers !

I reset my BIOS, and fiddled around, and drew the following conclusions:

8x-10.5x don't seem to work. Most will post, but won't boot windows, and others won't post at all (I actually had to remove the battery and wait 10 mins for the system to reset).

ATM I'm running my system at 2260MHz, or 205MHz * 11.

I want to increase the FSB, but I can't lower the multiplier :(

Still, it's not overheating, doing 55C at load :)

lordvader said:
I remember what my problem was. It wasn't certain frequencies that didn't work, but certain multipliers !

I reset my BIOS, and fiddled around, and drew the following conclusions:

8x-10.5x don't seem to work. Most will post, but won't boot windows, and others won't post at all (I actually had to remove the battery and wait 10 mins for the system to reset).

ATM I'm running my system at 2260MHz, or 205MHz * 11.

I want to increase the FSB, but I can't lower the multiplier :(

Still, it's not overheating, doing 55C at load :)

man you should be happy, thats a pretty good oc (esp fsb wise) for an xp2400

good temps :thup:

D

Argh!
Just had a lock up ! I'll leave it at 2.2 for now, with fan on low speed for an over night stress test, then take another crack at 2.26 later in the week :)

I'll also flash my bios, see if that fixes my multiplier issue :p

Well here's an interesting update: my 10x multiplier is unstable at FSBs 198 and beyond !
Trying to isolate the problem (after updating to latest BIOS), I set my CPU to 10x 100MHz, and took gradual steps towards 10x 200MHz. When I reached 10x 198 MHz, there were garbled graphics during POST, and 10x 199, memtest failed immediately. 10x 200 failed to post.

11x 202MHz seems to work fine though. It's a pity I can't push my RAM though :(

Question: is the multiplier a part of the CPU or mobo ?

lordvader said:

Question: is the multiplier a part of the CPU or mobo ?

cpu

just run 11x200 man, if you cant push the ram past 200 why bother ? 20mhz of fsb wont change much

D

The ram does got past 200. I had it at 220 (this was a fair while ago), passed the memtest and everything, but since my multipliers are screwy, I can't try again ...

Now that I think about it, I can run the memory and FSB asynchronously ... that could be interesting :D

... or not ... bugger :(
async sucks apparently ... wouldn't hurt to try though ...

lordvader said:
Though this is a cooling type question, I think it's more suited to this forum:

Is there such thing as permanent burn in ? I have an athlong xp 2.0GHz. For about a year, I ran it at 2.3GHz until I started getting instability, so now it's running at 2.2 GHz.

Thing is, I've just replaced my HSF, and I'm getting cooling issues. I beleive it's due to the fact that the thermal compound is still settling (it's becoming more and more stable during stress testing).

While the compound is settling, I'd like to run my CPU at it's default speed. However, my system no longer boots when I clock it at 2 GHz (though it will boot at XP1800+ speeds ...)!

Does the concept of permanent burn-in actually exist, or is my system just weird ?

My mobo is a gigabyte 7n400 pro :D

Your CPU screwed the pooch...

Poor old 2400+ has gone by-by... RIP.

Back