• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Four years on OCF - A short history

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

Four years today, and I wouldn't have known were it not for a random check on my profile a few days ago! Went through quite a bit in the computer world since visiting here:

- Built first 'modern' computer. XP-1800, MX440, 512MB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, etc.
- OC'ed computer
- Bought XP-1600 super-stepping (forget exact stepping).
- Bought Ti200
- Mastered air cooling :) Had that XP-1600 to 1.85GHz on air, 60mm CPU cooler on Ti200, 2x92mm 'wind tunnel' over CPU, etc. Insanely loud, but cooled on par with some water systems.

- Got into water, started with a 4' bong.
- Got an XP-2100 T-Bred, got it up to 2.4GHz
- Moved to an external cooling box.
- ATI 9700pro
- Built dozens of 1U, 2U, and other computers for work.

- Eventually moved to an internal 86 Chevette heatercore setup.
- Got 9800pro, then nVidia 6800

- Dropped all water, went toward silent air cooling. OC down to 2.2GHz, then in newer, sun drenched (hotter) apartment 2050MHz.

- Finally upgrading again, Opteron 146 on its way.

So from newbie to everything but phase cooling, and then reverting back to good old air again, here I am. I think the 'extreme' overclocking days are behind me, but the, "Which $150 chip can OC to a $1000 chip?" days will probably never go away. Money talks :D

--Illah

-Joined, trying to figure out to OC my Athlon 950
-Bought an AXP 1700+
-Bought another AXP 1700+- this time the infamous DLT3C
-Found that air wasn't enough for me, went to water

-Went A64
-Couldn't afford water, went back to air
-Started volt modding for the first time

-Went Dothan
-Built a water chiller

-Used dry ice cooling for the first time
-Direct die phase change in the near future ???

I guess I've dropped all efforts on being even remotely practical...also in price/performance, one of the factors has become increasingly irrelevant...guess which. ;)

Joined, had my brand new Duron 650 based rig (128MB RAM, 30GB HDD, CDROM), tried to overclock on my crappy Jetway motherboard.

Promoted to senior, read up on XPs etc. Bought a CDRW, DVDROM, upgraded RAM, upgraded to a Thunderbird.

Built my dual XP based rig. Bought a laptop.

Running a car more or less ate up all my finances. Bought a new car on finance. Crashed said new car after 4 weeks. Spent the next year saving up to pay off the finance. Bought cheap crap car to keep me going.

Planned to build a new rig, didn't have the money. Spent a total of about 700 pounds on repairing said crap cheap car (!) and eventually managed to pay off finance. Demoted to Mod. Moved 80% to Linux.

Now 100% Linux. Planned to build a new rig this summer, but had to replace cheap crap car so I bought a nice 4 year old Ford with decent economy, low insurance costs, and a 2 year warranty. I may yet be able to save up for a new PC....

My 6 years with OCF.... (Feb '01 -> April '06 so far)

David said:
My 6 years with OCF.... (Feb '01 -> April '06 so far)

I never was very good at math, but that's 5 years :p

2004 Join as a complete overclocking noob. Read a lot, and start to learn. A few Intel Northwood/Prescott systems.

2005 Start overclocking more and more, buy a Mach II and all hell breaks loose. Broke some world records, get competitive in benchmarking, take over as OC3D Team Captain. In late 05' have some RL issues, fall off face of earth. To many systems to list.

2006 Slow start. Getting back into the scene. Rebuilding computer right now.

That's my history in a nutshell.

'04 - Joined as a complete newbie already had a PC for nearly a year (AMD Athlon 2400+, 256mb ram, 40gb, and 120 gb hdd, [which i got for xmas], geforce 5500 256mb..) had already replaced the stock motherboard (Well, i said "I", but my older brother did everything as i didn't have a clue). So i browsed around and my younger brother made an account, and i stole it, hehe, can't remember why i did though, probably too lazy to make my own. So i looked around on here and i was like "omfg you can have neon lights in j00r pc !!1" heh. I wanted to be indepent as i started to learn my brother wasn't too reliable and experienced, as sometimes he didn't know how to fix things, then i'd have to wait a while reading through manuals until i could fix it myself. Now he comes to me for help, lol :D

'05 - Bought a 320gb HDD. Bought neons and wire sleeving kits (I completed f**ked it up the first time round :), then i read some guides and got it right ) and i bought a Statis Cooler from Customer9000 and oc'ed my nvidia 6600GT which i also bought at some point, can't remember when exactly . I also spent many hours reading and trying to absorb alot of information on how people on this forum build their pcs and why they choose certain parts, mostly focusing on Water cooling and case modding... i found the whole scene amazing... learned alot, like to always search for a review, or the forum to see if the hardware you want is as good as you think it is, which has proved very useful for me as i used to think the higher the number/price the better... hehe.

'06 - Joined mIRC channels, and im starting to find that there's some nice/funny dudes there :) Still learning and asking questions when ever i run into a problem, heh. I also try to help people out, but im not confident (Im not that smart tbh, hehe).

:)

For me?

Late '04 - Joined the forums after having been a reader of the front page for nearly a year and just skimming through the forums for 3-4 months. I still had my first Athlon build powering me at the time, AXP 2000+, 1Gb of PC2100, XFX GeForceFX 5200 Ultra, and Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum.

Early '05 - Joined the F@H team and started to really take off on the forums.

Mid '05 - Got told I'd had a lot of nominations to be promoted to Senior, and that it looked like i'd get it in no-time. Was given parts by fellow member and good friend Stratcatprowlin to build a Socket 754 system... still running it.

Late '05 - Still resisting becoming a Blue, mdcomp talks to me on aim and basically puppy-dog face's me into becoming a Blue. :sn:

Early '06 - Start to branch off in my DC projects, and help in the movement for an Alt-DC room. Now, with the help of a handful of others, am trying to build OCForums as one of the best DC teams in the world.

Late 2004 - Came here with a life wanting to fix an overheating problem

Mid 2005 - Officaly locked myself in the computer room.

Now 2006 - Still locked up in computer room.

may 04' - complete OCing noob, built my first rig. Was an axp2400, with some watered down abit board, and a 9600se. Lightly OC'd it to 2.3ghz on air

july 04' - switched from amd > intel and got a 3.0E prescott. Oc'd it to 3.8ghz on air with a 5900u that i did my first flash mod on. Flashed it to a 5950u and joined the 7k club in 3dmark03. Was my first 'big' accomplishment in OCing

Feb 05' - Went to skt 754 with a 2800 new castle 64bit. Paired that with a 6800nu i had a bios volt mod done, and unlocked the pipes.

March/April 05' - Upgraded to a dfi sli-dr, and a 3000 venice, with a 6600non gt and still hold the #2 score in the world for the 6600's (will remain that way since the ARC is no longer lol).

May 05 - became 3dmark captain, and stepped down after a few weeks to take a break from computers

Nov/Dec'ish - Came back as a 3dmark captian, and had a 4200 x2 rig with a 7800gt. Switched to a opty 144 and loved it.

Now - Quit desktops and am happy with my dell laptop :p

Don't have time to post my info now, but basically...

it all started with an Athlon XP 1700+ and a 2500+ Barton... I romped through SEVERAL AXPs... several winchesters, several venices, a few prescotts and northwoods, and finally onto about 20 total opterons...

This all happened between joining extremeoverclocking.com early 2003, then becoming a die hard ocf member in late 03 all the way until now...

From air to air x100, and finally to water, and hopefully beyond someday... :)

g0dM@n said:
Don't have time to post my info now, but basically...

it all started with an Athlon XP 1700+ and a 2500+ Barton... I romped through SEVERAL AXPs... several winchesters, several venices, a few prescotts and northwoods, and finally onto about 20 total opterons...

This all happened between joining extremeoverclocking.com early 2003, then becoming a die hard ocf member in late 03 all the way until now...

From air to air x100, and finally to water, and hopefully beyond someday... :)

Those 20 opterons better all fold! :p

benbaked said:
that's sick, but i can think of better uses for that :p

Haha I keep forgetting to mention that you got the best avatar on the boards! With the 92mm Delta that I had on there you could fill a room in 60 seconds if you ever wanted to ;)

Anyway, to update my evolving history here the Opty is setup and while I'm still tweaking, so far I'm topping out at 2.7 GHz @ 1.45v & 225 2-2-2-5 on my BH-5 with my nifty 3.3vDimm mod. My RAM tops out around 244 2-2-2-5, so I'll say 240 just to give myself some headroom. With the divider I use that means I need to run 2.88GHz on the chip to run 240 2-2-2-5.

Luckily I have that vCore mod in place :D

With a little more burn in hopefully I can get 2.88 @ 1.5v so I don't get the extra heat from 1.55v.

--Illah

2001 - I join after my P90@133 slows to a crawl, and get a few helpful suggestions about what to do with the (even then) aincient thing :D I dupe my first post (into General Hardware IIRC...) and get more helpful replies :D Drool over bongs and the much faster hardware everybody else has.

2002 - Continue tweaking and prodding my P90, while making use of the family's Celeron 466 for anything remotely useful. Try OCing the 466, but either the RAM or CPU just can't handle the jump from 66MHz to 100MHz FSB (w00r jumpers :rolleyes: ) Join the bustling OC SETI Team, and get my best friend ozzlo to provide the brunt of the computing power.

Late 2002 - (july / august) the Celeron's mobo somehow dies after installing the Intel Application Accelerator. /me is still confused as to how that managed to happen, but I still don't trust the IAA to this day. Dead Celeron provides a good excuse to finally build my first system, centered around a Palomino 1800+ and Shuttle AK31a. Also get a 1.8 Willamette system a month afterwords. I fry my video card from a voltmod attempt in less than three months. The mods have pitty on me and paint me blue a month later.

2003 - Bartons are released and I drool over them and the popular TBreds. Don't have any money after buying a 9500np to replace the fried 8500le. A lot of daily posting on the forums, helping people out, etc. End up half-frying (it runs, but does not OC any more) my 128MB stick of RAM. At the very end of the year, I come across a drop-dead cheap 256MB stick of RAM in the classifieds. Having already dropped back to stock, I now had 640MB of RAM. w00t!

2004 - The mobile 2500+ craze is really making me drool. Unfortunatly, my mobo specifically states that it does not support them, or even the older TBreds. /me is disappointed that his compy isn't as upgradeable as he hoped. I do get a 200GB HD for black friday though for really cheap, relieving the stress on my bulging 80GB drive. The mods realize that I have not been sufficiently punished for my daily logging in, and decide to demote me to moderator.

2005 - Am finally fed up with the no-name PSU in my system giving me problems. Head over to the classifieds and buy a way-overpowered 520W OCZ PowerStream. /me hopes to use the PSU in his next system. In December, begin my first real absence from the forum. Life was being 3vi1, so I departed and only popped in every week or so.

2006 - Came back in April, and did a few more upgrades. My brother bought a 1GB stick for my family's computer (they're still using the unmodified 1.8 Willamette system from '02), but it didn't work so I bought it from him for my system. Really made the thing snappy :D Also finally upgraded my CPU to a Mobile Barton 2500 -- which I had checked two years ago for compatibility and found lacking. However, after stumbling across another forum mentioning that it will work (though you need to pinmod the thing for high enough multipliers) I pony up the money for one. It's a really poor overclocker at only 2.2GHz air, but I won't complain -- it's a pretty big upgrade from my old 1800+.

There you have it. My history on the forums. Entered with a P90, got a 1800+ a year later, and have been running virtually the same system since.

/me is amazed at just how much life there is in this mobo!

JigPu

JigPu said:
2001 - I join after my P90@133 slows to a crawl, and get a few helpful suggestions about what to do with the (even then) aincient thing :D I dupe my first post (into General Hardware IIRC...) and get more helpful replies :D Drool over bongs and the much faster hardware everybody else has.

2002 - Continue tweaking and prodding my P90, while making use of the family's Celeron 466 for anything remotely useful. Try OCing the 466, but either the RAM or CPU just can't handle the jump from 66MHz to 100MHz FSB (w00r jumpers :rolleyes: ) Join the bustling OC SETI Team, and get my best friend ozzlo to provide the brunt of the computing power.

Late 2002 - (july / august) the Celeron's mobo somehow dies after installing the Intel Application Accelerator. /me is still confused as to how that managed to happen, but I still don't trust the IAA to this day. Dead Celeron provides a good excuse to finally build my first system, centered around a Palomino 1800+ and Shuttle AK31a. Also get a 1.8 Willamette system a month afterwords. I fry my video card from a voltmod attempt in less than three months. The mods have pitty on me and paint me blue a month later.

2003 - Bartons are released and I drool over them and the popular TBreds. Don't have any money after buying a 9500np to replace the fried 8500le. A lot of daily posting on the forums, helping people out, etc. End up half-frying (it runs, but does not OC any more) my 128MB stick of RAM. At the very end of the year, I come across a drop-dead cheap 256MB stick of RAM in the classifieds. Having already dropped back to stock, I now had 640MB of RAM. w00t!

2004 - The mobile 2500+ craze is really making me drool. Unfortunatly, my mobo specifically states that it does not support them, or even the older TBreds. /me is disappointed that his compy isn't as upgradeable as he hoped. I do get a 200GB HD for black friday though for really cheap, relieving the stress on my bulging 80GB drive. The mods realize that I have not been sufficiently punished for my daily logging in, and decide to demote me to moderator.

2005 - Am finally fed up with the no-name PSU in my system giving me problems. Head over to the classifieds and buy a way-overpowered 520W OCZ PowerStream. /me hopes to use the PSU in his next system. In December, begin my first real absence from the forum. Life was being 3vi1, so I departed and only popped in every week or so.

2006 - Came back in April, and did a few more upgrades. My brother bought a 1GB stick for my family's computer (they're still using the unmodified 1.8 Willamette system from '02), but it didn't work so I bought it from him for my system. Really made the thing snappy :D Also finally upgraded my CPU to a Mobile Barton 2500 -- which I had checked two years ago for compatibility and found lacking. However, after stumbling across another forum mentioning that it will work (though you need to pinmod the thing for high enough multipliers) I pony up the money for one. It's a really poor overclocker at only 2.2GHz air, but I won't complain -- it's a pretty big upgrade from my old 1800+.

There you have it. My history on the forums. Entered with a P90, got a 1800+ a year later, and have been running virtually the same system since.

/me is amazed at just how much life there is in this mobo!

JigPu

You need to lay off the IRC buddy :D

Started 2001
* with pencil and pad
* upgraded to ink and a notebook
* brought Duron 800 and ran it on a Abit KT7a-Raid for a while
* kicked the duron out and brought a AXIA-R thunderbird which did ok
* kicked the Abit out to live with the Duron again and got a Epox Kha+ for the thunderbird (which i still have - running at 1400mhz on a millenium thermal heatsink)
* Got Mini-ITX M1000 (still have it)
* Got SMP Pentium Pro - Gave it to RedHotMachine
* Got 2800+ XP on MSI MiniATX(still have it)
* Got Mini-ITX M1200 (still have it)
* Got P4 2.8 MSI Mega-PC (Media Entertainment Gaming Applience ) - still have it
* Got two P4 2.8 Mini-ITX (one in project bike at moment - other on shelf)
* Got AMD 64 3000+ Acer 1522 WLMI Laptop (still got it)
* Got Sparc SMP server (not worked out how to turn it on yet - needs a little work)
* Got Nano-ITX (still have it)
* Got Dell XPS M1710 Laptop (still have it)

This infomration is not really accurate as I only remember 'fun systems' or systems that I have still got, not the stuff I have sold on or given away.. there's a few AtlhonXP systems during this time as well, I still have a number of AthlonXP mobile processors to prove it :clap:
The Duron was my first processor to do a Ghz and I was well impressed running WinME on it although it never beat Benders 600 Duron that always bugged me.. The Epox Kha+ was brought on the reccomendation of WildAndyC an old school senior here who's forgotten more than I know - he is seriously clever and I got it running stable with a 190 FSB - remember in these days we were using 133 FSB's and 266 DDR... never before has one motherboard caused so much discussion, it really was that much better than everything else at that time...

ahh im feelin old now :(

Got enough parts to build another four systems just not enough home to keep them in :cry:

Last edited:
Back