• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

attaching ramsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

Ok, so I am moving on to watercooling. I plan on cooling my gpu with a waterblock and some of those little stick on ramsinks. I have some old ones laying around, but the trouble is that the sticky has worn off. I posted a little while ago and I got some feedback about some Arctic silver thermal epoxy and stuff. But I am tired of spending money. Could I use just a little drop of super glue or something of the like? Or perhaps there is another way?

I don't really recommend superglue as you might want to take the sinks off one day (to replace them/sell the card etc) and you'll lessen the contact they can make with the chips by doing that. If you can get some thermal tape/adhesive that would be the way to go, but if not I'd say try putting a thin layer of ceramique over the chips except for two opposing corners and then use a dab of Elmer's Clear Household Cement (available at CVS) in the dry corners. It bonds pretty well but can be removed fairly easily compared to superglue. It holds up pretty well to heat also.

Send me your address (pm or at [email protected]), I have some extra thermal tape I purchased off of toddm27 in the classifieds. I will send you a strip of it (more than enough to do 8 ramsinks as I attached all of mine with less than half of one).

Super glue in the corners is the old skool method & works very well if performed properly.
You get the advantage of premium thermal paste, plus the sinks will snap off quite easily.

To expand on grumperfish's post a bit .....

~ Procedure ...

1] - Place a small piece of tape covering opposite corners of the sink, 2 is fine

2] - spread thin your favorite paste across the sink surface

3] - peel off the tape

4] - apply a SMALL dab of Super Glue gel to the now bare corners

5] - set in place & hold firmly for two minutes

Simple as that!
I have used the above method with great success. All the way up to hefty NB sinks.

Would using a couple dots of glue in the corners kill the heat transfer capacity more or less than using heat tape or whatever?

Back