• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

disabling cool n quiet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainz3

Registered
I am having problems with my a64 turion and was wondering if yall could help me out. When I am trying to play a game my clock speed drops to 800mhz and makes the games unplayable. I have figured out from a days research that its the cool n quiet feature on the chip but it seems to be working in the complete opposite way. Right now at idle typing this its running full bore but when I go to play a game it drops. I have installed the drivers from amds website but that didnt help. I tried speedswitch but even on max performance it still does it. I just tried rmclock but its not working properly(going to try uninstalling and reinstalling I think it was just a goof on my part). Is there a way to just disable cool n quiet? The only time I need it really is to save battery life(acer travelmate 4400 laptop) but right now its connected to AC 24/7. Thanks in advance.

oh and no there is no option in my bios to disable it.

ive gone through the bios a hundred times but nothing says anything like that in there

Go to Control Panel and open Power Management and see what setting is selected, try playing around with it and see if that works. If it doesn't, select "Always On", and try working with GCPUID (my sig), by creating a shortcut with presets for multiplier and voltage you can control the speed and voltage of the CPU with 2 clicks of a mouse. Just read the Readme.txt to see how to set it up.

I got it to work to change the volts and clock speed and set both to where they should be but it doesnt stay. It will go from 800 to 1600mhz thena couple seconds after the program closes it goes right down to 800mhz. And I have tried the home/office setting and always on and well all the others but same result. Its odd though I am starting to think its just those games(empires dawn of the moder world and shadow ops). I just got done playing about 4-5 hours worth of quake 4 and without a hitch. steady 40+fps. Oh well. With that program is it possible to set the multi higher than 8x which is stock?

It is not possible to go over the default multiplier on any CPU in the A64 line except the FX.
So basically you can only go upto x8. There's no other way to increase the multiplier over the default.

ok thats cool. Thanks for your help. I am sure I will figure this out or maybe I am looking to deep into things.

Back