• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new opty for me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Optimus Prime

I just got a new opty 165 from the egg today.
ccbwe 0604 tpmw

gonna fire it up after work today and get started. I haven't seen any of these tpmw's any where so i guess im half optimistic... if i can hit 2.4 ill be pleased so im gonna keep my fingers crossed.

The newer Opterons are overclocking nicely. Right now, I'm daul priming my 165 @ 2.75GHz stock vcore. :cool: CCB1E 0608MPMW here, and loving every minute of it.

tsuehpsyde said:
The newer Opterons are overclocking nicely. Right now, I'm daul priming my 165 @ 2.75GHz stock vcore. :cool: CCB1E 0608MPMW here, and loving every minute of it.

Wow very nice man, wish the first Opty I got could do that. My 165 could barely do 2.5ghz stable with 1.55vcore. I don't plan on getting another one for that reason alone

Yeah, I was very nervous about which stepping I was going to get, since I purchased it OEM from Monarch and had no choice in what I got. However, when I saw CCB1E, I was pretty confident it would do well. I was also excited about getting an 0608, as noone else had anything posted about anything newer than 0606's. However, since yesterday, a few other 0608's have popped up, and even an 0609.

2.78GHz also appears to be the max with stock vcore. :( Was really hoping for that last 20 MHz! :) I'll dual prime it for a good while to get a screenshot for the nay sayers.

Just to let you know.... I HATE all you guys having good luck with your opty's, haha. Congrats on the new proc. I was only able to get mine to 2.51 at 1.55 but thats with a bad mount... maybe I can pull a miracle and a good remount will help A BUNCH, haha.

Richard

hmmm so it's been a slow crawl with this mobo. I actually think that damn thing doesn't lock the ide ports. I was having all sorts of problems and coudn't oc the chip at all let alone even really keep windows running. Once i unplugged the ide hd and re-installed winxp im doing just fine. FYI I'm on an asus a8n32 sli deluxe w/ocz platinum rev.2 tccd under a slk-948u.

EDIT: I just plugged in the ide hard drive back in and it seems to be working fine now... not sure what the deal before was but it might have been the driver.

I'm currently priming in both cores at the same time at 2400 (266x9). I'm running a 3xhtt ratio and a 200/166 devider for my ram. So my ram is running at 220 at 2-2-2-5-t1 @ 2.85 vdimm. All at 1.41 vcore and 35 degC, though i haven't popped the ihs yet. I have no idea if this is good or not but 2400 was my goal so im gonna burn in here over night and keep moving on up tomorow.

I did however try to play around a bit before i found a burnin starting point.
I loosened up the timings put the htt at 2x and ran the 133 devider. I was able to boot up into windows and click around on a few things at 300x9 and then I got a bsod. This however was only at a vcore of 1.42 at 2700mhz.

I'm interested to see where this this system goes. This motherboard is alright. It has a ton of options which is good but I have seen it do a few odd things already. I'm quite happy with my TCCD so far as I have seen them boot up and c2.5-3-3-11-t2 at 270. If i can get down to t1 or up to about 280-290 at those speeds maybe i can go 1/1.

So now i have a few questions:
1) What is the max suggested vcore for these dual core opties for air cooling?
2) IS running the ram in sync as important on this architecture as it was on the nf-3's?
3) Is it better to burn in the Core's together or set the affinity and run the sepperate?
4) I tried installed the new AMD driver and the hotfix off of amdzone once but it hosed my os. Is this driver necessary or can i get by without it. If it is necessary what is the install process of it?
a) Install driver off of amd site
b) install hotfix from amdzone (fix off of Microsoft's site)
c) edit registry to utilize hotfix
d) reboot
Is this process right and do i need a restart in between each of the steps or do it all at once?

Thanks in advance for your help.
opt

Last edited:
Optimus Prime said:
So now i have a few questions:
1) What is the max suggested vcore for these dual core opties for air cooling?
2) IS running the ram in sync as important on this architecture as it was on the nf-3's?
3) Is it better to burn in the Core's together or set the affinity and run the sepperate?
4) I tried installed the new AMD driver and the hotfix off of amdzone once but it hosed my os. Is this driver necessary or can i get by without it. If it is necessary what is the install process of it?
a) Install driver off of amd site
b) install hotfix from amdzone (fix off of Microsoft's site)
c) edit registry to utilize hotfix
d) reboot
Is this process right and do i need a restart in between each of the steps or do it all at once?

Thanks in advance for your help.
opt

I will try my best to answer a few of your questions:
1. It comes down to how well your temperatures stay in control at your clock rate and how stable your system is. These have been run up to around 1.7 volts(that I know of) with sufficient cooling(very high end water/phase etc). However, I would err on the side of caution and stay around 1.5-1.55 maximum on air cooling with temperatures in check.
2. It depends on what you are going for but your answer is in most cases no. I have not seen large improvements from running in sync over 9/10 or loses at 5/6 in most synthetic benchies(I run 5/6 when I am at high clocks(2.55 and higher) and 9/10 daily and see great numbers in the benches that I run).
3. I think you could get quite a few answers to this question. Some say letting windows set affinity for burning in is best(thats how I did it). Yet, others will say that only setting it manually allows for the most CPU usage. However, I believe it is a most common practice on these dual cores to burn in both cores simultaneously whichever method of affinity assignment you choose.
4. Can't help you there on this one because I don't run it. I run XP Professional and have never had an issue related to needing the hotfix.

Hope that helped a bit,
Richard

PS. Anyone please correct me if I have led him astray in any way. Thanks!

Back