• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9000 PRO - will additional cooling save it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newman_SCO

My Sapphire Radeon 9000 PRO 128mb displays random coloured pixels on the screen while in windows, and in games it shows artifacts. Also, whenever I install windows sp2 the system refuses to display the desktop when booting.

The cooler and fan have been cleaned, and artic silver 5 has been applied.

The card is running at stock speed and has only ever been overclocked for short periods of time.

My case cooling is fine. Do you think a new gpu cooler or ram sinks will save this card? is there hope?

You could try cleaning the card again making sure it's 1000% clean then redoing the AS5 job but very carefully not to get anything on the surrounding areas.

The 9000 series were relatively cool running cards and if there's pixel corruption your card is most likely done for.

I used various recommended chemicals to remove existing paste. The paste has been carefully applied using different techniques. It functions ok on early slower machines.. P3's and P2's

I think you are correct. It is done for...such a shame.

If anyone else has experienced such things and have found a work around.. please let me know. Thanks

Did you OC it at all or did something happen to it? Sounds like a classic case of a fried card... Probably a couple damaged pipes.

Back