• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking CPU causes ethernet problems!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetaMorphicX

Registered
Hey guys, I have a P4 3.0GHz prescott that runs at about 58C idle and 64C at load. I have the Asus P5GD2-X motherboard with 512 Mb 533MHz PC2-4200 Ram. I am very interested in overclocking and could overclock to 3.60GHz through the motherboard no problem (except for more heat). Although, when I went anything past that speed, Windows would boot properly and everything seemed stable/fine but I noticed it wasn't connecting to the internet. I have cable and I checked the network connections and it didn't even recognize that I have an ethernet card installed :shrug: . I put the CPU settings back to default at 3.0GHz and the ethernet card is detected again. Anyone know why the ethernet card wouldn't be detected due to overclocking the CPU?

BTW, I ordered the Big Typhoon so I am able to actually keep the overclock once I figure out this ethernet problem. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like the PCI bus is running too far out of spec. Try locking the PCI to 33 MHz. The i915 chipsets don't have a good PCI-E/PCI lock, so it's possible you'll need to back off your O/C a little.

I'm not sure how to lock the PCI. I can't find any settings in the BIOS to change it. Also, should I be changing any voltages here?

Increasing voltages often stabilize an overclock, but it will also raise temps and that's something you don't need right now. Besides, the CPU is not really unstable, it's the ethernet card fuzzing out. Try backing off the O/C a bit.

I was reading a lot about overclocking and how it can make the PCI bus unstable. I just wanted to know if anyone knows if it is possible to lock my PCI bus with this motherboard (P5GD2-X) because I had no luck finding anything in BIOS. And about my temps, yea they are extremely high and I am trying to take care of that problem right now, although Prescott's really do tend to have high temps.

don't OC until you get the aftermarket HSF, you will destroy your chip. Your temps are running VERY warm. Be smart and make another order for 2 80mm and 1 120mm fans. Combine that up with your new typhoon and you'll be running mid 30's idle guaranteed.

Yea, I'm not going to overclock until the BT comes which is soon. Also, I ordered it with 2 80mm case fans that push 40CFM and AS5. It does tend to get hot in my room so I left the windows and case open for the mean time. Hopefully temps go down a good amount.

MetaMorphicX said:
Hey guys, I have a P4 3.0GHz prescott that runs at about 58C idle and 64C at load. I have the Asus P5GD2-X motherboard with 512 Mb 533MHz PC2-4200 Ram. I am very interested in overclocking and could overclock to 3.60GHz through the motherboard no problem (except for more heat). Although, when I went anything past that speed, Windows would boot properly and everything seemed stable/fine but I noticed it wasn't connecting to the internet. I have cable and I checked the network connections and it didn't even recognize that I have an ethernet card installed :shrug: . I put the CPU settings back to default at 3.0GHz and the ethernet card is detected again. Anyone know why the ethernet card wouldn't be detected due to overclocking the CPU?

BTW, I ordered the Big Typhoon so I am able to actually keep the overclock once I figure out this ethernet problem. Thanks in advance!

:welcome:

Sounds like a heat problem. I don't (won't) do intel (looking both ways). 58 idle is crazy, even for a press*hot*. Not trying to start a war. Friends use intel chips.

MetaMorphicX said:
I was reading a lot about overclocking and how it can make the PCI bus unstable. I just wanted to know if anyone knows if it is possible to lock my PCI bus with this motherboard (P5GD2-X) because I had no luck finding anything in BIOS. And about my temps, yea they are extremely high and I am trying to take care of that problem right now, although Prescott's really do tend to have high temps.

After reading a pdf on asus' website that's specific to your board you should be able to lock it in the advanced menu using the "PCI Clock Synchronization Mode". It might be under the subtopic-> "CPU Configuration" but the pdf wasn't clear on that.

Thanks! I'll take a look in my bios right now. Also, I left my window open last night with case open... it was pretty cold in the room and at load the temp was at 52C!! That's an insane drop and I hope all my cooling equipment can give me the same result if not better.

I checked the BIOS and indeed "PCI Clock Synchronization Mode" is there. Theres 3 options: Auto, To CPU, and 33.33 MHz. If there is a problem with the PCI frequency, which should I change the setting to? I would assume "To CPU" since I'm changing the CPU clock speed.

Edit: I think the Ethernet card is running under PCI Express settings because thats what it says in the PDF document. Theres another setting above "PCI Clock Synchronization Mode" thats called "PCI Express Frequency". Theres a number of different frequency settings. Would I have to change the PCI Express Frequency or the Clock Synchronization Mode to hopefully solve my problem?

Last edited:
meta 1st thing you need to do is set your PCI to 33.33mhz if that fixes your problems then great.

i think PCI express should be at 100mhz

i had this happen on my old barton sys when i 1st got into O/Cing i mistakeingly got a mobo that didnt have a AGP/pci lock almost any overclock messed with inet cards, hard drives and vid cards

always set the pci clock synch mode to 33.33mhz and leave it there.

PCI express should be 100mhz always [unless you like tinkering.. >.> ill leave that to the overclocking seniors.]

also, the lack of devices working when overclocking [in my experience] is caused by a few possible things.
1. insufficient power to the motherboard [power supply problem. what are you using?]
2. insufficient power to the cpu [how much voltage are you giving it?]
3. insufficient power to the ram [not necessarily in your case, but overclocking the cpu does raise ram speeds.. soo are you sure your ram can handle this okay?

Hey azu, I opened up my case and I checked the power supply. It says it is a 400W MAX PSU. +3.3V@30A, +5V@40A, +12@14A, +5VSB@2A, [email protected]. I guess its just a generic power supply that was used when I got this custom built. Says it is a model 350XA if that helps any. Anyway, do you think this is sufficient for overclocking purposes? I mean if I test it with my final overclock settings and all seems OK, should I keep it or invest in a new one? As for my CPU voltages, I read that Prescott's shouldn't go past 1.525V. I haven't messed around with CPU voltages yet since the CPU overclocking didn't seem to have any troubles.

Edit: Earlier according to SpeedFan and PC Wizard 2005, my PSU temperature was 44C. Right after I posted this message, both read it at 126C!??!??!!?!?!? I was worried and I restarted my computer and now its at 24C which I thought was much better ( a little low, i was suspicious). Now it has jumped back up to 126C. I don't know how hot PSU's are supposed to run but is this too hot?

Last edited:
are you sure it the psu and not just some random unused sensor, that has nothing hooked into it. Its just ive never heard of psu temps being readable before. I have a unused sensor that reports -48*c on my board. anyway, goodluck with the oc

MetaMorphicX said:
Hey azu, I opened up my case and I checked the power supply. It says it is a 400W MAX PSU. +3.3V@30A, +5V@40A, +12@14A, +5VSB@2A, [email protected]. I guess its just a generic power supply that was used when I got this custom built. Says it is a model 350XA if that helps any. Anyway, do you think this is sufficient for overclocking purposes? I mean if I test it with my final overclock settings and all seems OK, should I keep it or invest in a new one? As for my CPU voltages, I read that Prescott's shouldn't go past 1.525V. I haven't messed around with CPU voltages yet since the CPU overclocking didn't seem to have any troubles.

Edit: Earlier according to SpeedFan and PC Wizard 2005, my PSU temperature was 44C. Right after I posted this message, both read it at 126C!??!??!!?!?!? I was worried and I restarted my computer and now its at 24C which I thought was much better ( a little low, i was suspicious). Now it has jumped back up to 126C. I don't know how hot PSU's are supposed to run but is this too hot?

Well for one, the power supply is insufficient. 12V@ 14A is a bit.. well lets say, skimpy for even normal use seemingly. the 12v rail is the heart of the power for your system. all your devices feed off of it. [or most do anyways. especially the mobo and the cpu] you mite want to consider a better power supply if your going to keep overclocking. Id say invest in a new one. if your on a budget a good sparkle or fortron psu will work. if you have some money to burn, then theres always others like the ocz powerstream 520.

If you have a program to read amps on your motherboard, its a good idea to look at the value you get. anything at the specified number aka 12 for 12v is healthy. ie, my current psu is 12v@ 12.032, [email protected] [email protected].
I remember my old powmax psu for a celeron. its 12v was runnig at 11.45. So, do some figuring the the math and it comes out as ==game over. lol. it was 17A too. but cheap generic supplies never live up to their advertised readings anyways. the watts on the power supply don't mean anything really.. always read the ampages.

and if you do still consider overclocking, lock the pci/agp, change the ram settings so that they're lower and increase the cpu speed. If you hit an area and your devices fail to function [ i remember when i was doing 1.36v @ 2.7ghz on my X2, i lost power to the usb devices and some other things.] then its a good idea to increase cpu voltages [ which apparently remedied my problem. but im amd.. even so it should be around the same. :)]

good luck. and your power supply is like dying. loll

Back