• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oblivion problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liftedcj7on44s

Ok i went and bought Oblivion last night, got home installed it and played for about an hour. I was on the part where the Old Dude died and he gave me something that i had to take somewhere!!!LOL well shortly after that i got a CTD!!!! I was like WTF? so didnt play anymore i went to bed well just a second ago i tried to play again and as soon as i selected my saved game i got a CTD! just tried again and its working WTF? is going on?

ok on that last post i had alt tabbed outta the game and posted my problem on here. when i went back to the game its was froze so i exited the game and tried again and got another CTD! here is a screen of whats happening

wtf3jo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i think its the "NEW" 84.21 driver from Nvidia thats causing this problem, Ive never had a problem with the old 81.98 but ive never played this game on the 81.98 drivers. tonight when i get off work im gonna try and roll back to 81.98 and see if that does the trick but i dunno!

I would try a previous driver as well... Only time I have problems, is when I alt+tab, if I didn't press escape first, it will come back frozen. Post up if that driver changed fixes your problem.

I had somewhat same problem where the game wont play in window anymore after it froze and crashes. What I did was move the entire save games profile into another directory, start a new game and then exit it, then move the save games profiel back into where it was before...start the game and voila it work.

Im not sure whats going on. I rolled back to 81.98 and still am having problems. It got to the point that after it crashed to the desktop my computer screen stayed black after several attempts to reboot it would get all the way to where winblows would load up and all id get was a black screen. i lowered my overclock and everything. Finally i booted to safe mode, uninstalled my 7800gt through device manager, and this let me get into winblows. Reinstalled the 84.21 driver and played and again as soon as it went to load after opening a door i got another crash to desktop. my pc has never had problems until i installed this game. WTF is going on? Temps on the video card are ok and its not overclocked so thats not the reason.

Im not sure whats going on. I rolled back to 81.98 and still am having problems. It got to the point that after it crashed to the desktop my computer screen stayed black after several attempts to reboot it would get all the way to where winblows would load up and all id get was a black screen. i lowered my overclock and everything. Finally i booted to safe mode, uninstalled my 7800gt through device manager, and this let me get into winblows. Reinstalled the 84.21 driver and played and again as soon as it went to load after opening a door i got another crash to desktop. my pc has never had problems until i installed this game. WTF is going on?

84.25 drivers are "optimized" for oblibion.

and yes the game is quite buggy at times espececially exiting in any way whether it be normal or alt-tab

Off topic.. but I don't want to add to the five bajillion Oblivion posts... does anyone know what the soul gems are used for and how to beat a Will' O' Wisp without magic?

I am having quite the same issue. Only difference: I've not alt-tabbed out of the game. And, it doesn't matter what I'm doing. Sometimes it's when I load a saved game, if not, it's a while into playing. This 7800GT is not OC'ed. I've also gotten a BSOD. This game is the only program that's done that since I "finalized" the system overclock.

Gonna give the new drivers a try. Already reinstalled the game with no resolution of the problem.

I gave up on playing this game until a descent patch comes out. I am 6hrs into it and after I play for 5minutes the game gives me the same error you're getting. I spent hours trying to tweak files and my video settings to no prevail. I give up. :shrug:

Did any of you guys tweak your Oblivion.ini files?
If so try reverting it to the original one.I was getting alot of crashes from the iThreads=20
iOpenMPLevel=20
tweak.I set them both to 10 and now it hardly ever crashes.Some of the other tweaks out there for other things may also cause instability.

Once again, don't tweak until tweakguides.com comes out with an official tweak guide to Oblivion... heh

Don't expect a patch anytime soon. The game does run fine, really. The best you can do for now is defrag and stop any background services. Update to 84.25 nvidia (it supports oblivion).

The error your getting is a general Windows error and is most likely caused by a buggered .dll file or something. I'd uninstall Oblivion, remove all its' registry entries and reinstall then try again. If you have the same problem try uninstalling, removing all registry entries, doing a Windows repair install and then reinstalling Oblivion. Good luck.

Are you guys playing in window mode? sometime crashes happen in window mode but not full screen mode.

roid said:
Did any of you guys tweak your Oblivion.ini files?
If so try reverting it to the original one.I was getting alot of crashes from the iThreads=20
iOpenMPLevel=20
tweak.I set them both to 10 and now it hardly ever crashes.Some of the other tweaks out there for other things may also cause instability.

I have my iThreads=50 and iOpenMPLevel=50 currently with zero issues. Setting 10 to iThreads there hasn't been many issues as 20 with lots of people.

DBZ said:
Are you guys playing in window mode? sometime crashes happen in window mode but not full screen mode.

I run window mode with 1380x768 settings or what ever the widescreen one is thats in that area. I have zero issues alt-tabing to desktop to type surf or just to offload the CPU while I go out for a bit and don't feel like closing the game.

I really am starting to think alot of crash issues are hardware/driver related with the nVidia cards. It seems to be those people that are having the majority of the issues with tweaking and crashes.

hmm I also get freezes/errors when I alt+tab out of the game (99% of the time that has been the cause). I wonder if they will patch that, or maybe if I just upgrade to 82.25 or whatever the newer driver version is to see if that works.

Got the new 84.25 driver and still the same thing. It almost seems as if the game may be sensitive to overclocking, at least in the vid card department. It was running fine for about 2 hours and then I decided to OC the card just a little (it was at stock). After that, crashes to desktop. Funny thing is, set the freqs back to stock, same issue.

I think I'm gonna try to revert all of my OC back to stock and see if that does anything. We'll see.

Back