• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott 3.2 - What should I expect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oblivi0n

I'm in the process of salvaging parts out of a spare compaq I had sitting around. Compaq was in mint condition, just wasn't powerful enough for me as a 2nd rig.

So I took the 3.2 prescott, 80gb sata, and dvd/cdrw out of it - and im starting over.

Ordered the following to use with the above:
ASUS P5LD2-VM Micro ATX

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) 4-4-4-12 Ram

SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT PCI-E 256MB GDDR3 Video Card

And throwing it all in a Coolermaster Centurion Mini tower with a 430w PS.

~~~

What im wondering is what should I expect to get out of the CPU with the above ram/mb. I also ordered a decent coolermaster heatsink/fan combo.

Removed the CPU from the compaq tonight - and got the following off it:

Intel P4 04 Prescott
SL7PW Philippines
7517A888
3.20GHZ/1M/800/04A

And at the bottom of the processor was the numbers, 2L435572 / A10703.

Did a search on the intel site, and the SL7PW showed the following other specs - Linky

Average OC with the CPU finder on this site, showed 3.9GHZ. Should I expect to come near this with the setup I have described?

Any advice, thoughts or constructive comments?

Thanks in Advance.

I'd say 3.8 gig is a given. Maybe 4 gig depending on cooling, volts, and luck of the core. Since that's an E0 stepping, it should have a good shot at 4 gig or more.

I just hope your p5ld2-vm lets you get over 220 fsb - another folder built 2 of them with 630's and they both maxed at 220. He tried it with integrated video diabled, still couldn't go past 220.

Maybe newer rev's of the mobo will go higher than his :shrug:

pscout said:
I just hope your p5ld2-vm lets you get over 220 fsb - another folder built 2 of them with 630's and they both maxed at 220. He tried it with integrated video diabled, still couldn't go past 220.

Maybe newer rev's of the mobo will go higher than his :shrug:

Yah I read it wasnt the best for OC'ing...which is one of my concerns. But it was the only mATX 775 board with Dual channel support that I could find.

We will see. If all I can get out of it is 220fsb, then so be it - until I find a better board.

Alright, put everything together last night - and have been tweaking it slightly.

Recap of what I have put together.

ASUS P5LD2-VM mATX
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)
SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT
P4 Prescott 3.2 540j
80gb 7200 SATA HD
DVD/CDRW Lite-On
Coolermaster Centurion Case, with (x1)120mm Intake, and (x2)80mm Exhaust, and a Coolermaster 92mm Heatsink.

Thats the jist of it.

I seem to be stable at...

FSB @ 240, 3.8'ish GHZ.
RAM @ 667, 3:4, 4-4-4-12
vCore @ 1.33
CPU @ 37c Idle / 52c Load
MB @ 23c Idle / 31c Load
GPU @ 41c Idle / 59c Load

Vid card is OC'd slightly at 550/575. Seems like I could push it alot more, but I want a balance of stability and performance. Gonna leave it here for awhile.

OC settings on the P5LD2-VM suck. I manually have the FSB @ 240, the PCI-E Freq @ 110. PCI locked at 33.3 - and ram is set to the SPD. Havent toyed with that much yet.

I spose im happy. Decent OC for the board/cpu. I havent had a chance to DL 3DMark06 yet, but 03 gave me a result of 12412. Which is leaps and bounds over my other machine down in my sig.

Just figured I would share an update. Thanks for the help here on the forums.

Samurai Blade said:
my prescott 478skt is D0 stepping , is this any good? ive managed to get it to 3.6ghz from 3.0ghz on aircooled system so far.

That's good on air cooling. If the mobo can do 250Mhz the CPU will probably follow it up to 3750Mhz. Most 478 motherboards has trouble under-volting when we start to push the system to the max, so you may need to pump the volts to 1,56 or something in that area.
I am running a 2,8Ghz C0 Prescott and it will do 3,5Ghz, it is the mobo that has trouble keeping a steady supply of volts.

aye ive noticed that. ie had to increase the voltage once more to 1.45 volts for 3.6ghz and im still getting crashes from sandras and 3d mark 05 , i know the coolings ok as im running 'hmonitor' which shows it at 48-49'c under 100% load
either i need to increase the core agian or im stuck.

Samurai Blade said:
aye ive noticed that. ie had to increase the voltage once more to 1.45 volts for 3.6ghz and im still getting crashes from sandras and 3d mark 05 , i know the coolings ok as im running 'hmonitor' which shows it at 48-49'c under 100% load
either i need to increase the core agian or im stuck.

Well, I am using water cooling, and my when Vcore is at 1,56volts and the cpu is 3500mhz (250mhz FSB) the cpu is around 60c under load. So you can try to raise the voltage to around 1,5 - 1,54 just to see how the system reacts under those settings. You night also have to increase the voltage to the agp port, because this also effects the voltage to the northbridge. Mine is set to 1,6volts.
Also be aware of how your memory reacts to the highere fsb. If the memory cant handle 250mhz (PC4000) you might be better off just staying at 240mhz fsb, since the extra 10mhz in the fsb might not gain as much in performance as the memory will lose if you are forced to lower the timings or lowering memory mhz.

I have a similar chip and I run at 4.2 rock stable on air. The EO prescott are awesome chips if you surround them with good components and keep them cool. Mine is only a 478 pin so you should be able to match mine without to much problem. :thup:

Back