• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Borgix is now 99.99% complete.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
I'm currently running Borgix LiveCD.... and it's sweet! However, it's an overburn CD (707MBs).... and Warg is still working on stripping stuff out to get it to the magical 700 mark.... but so far, it works fine.

Warg also tells me he still has some configuring to do on the auto DHCP stuff.... it doesn't like detecting your IP address automatically....

I'm going to test the HD installer here in a bit on one of my extra machines to see how well it works.

I'm going to start a torrent for this soon as well... so you can play with this... but being that it is 707mbs.... it MAY or MAY NOT work in as an overburn.

However....it should be enough to tide you over till Warg manages to get the ISO pared down slightly more....

He also plans to release DVD version in the future.... with much more available.

small update... have been playing with it....

DIMES doesn't like the LiveCD environment. Something about Java being on a Read Only System... (likely fixable by installing to hard-drive... will update on this in a little bit)

Playing with F@H.....

i click on "INstall F@H"
It asks for password...
I type password
borgix
WOOT... and it comes up very fast and lets us set-up F@H to our liking!

Man.... surfin' the internet with this. It is WAY faster than with WindowsXP....

*still testing some of the environment, then will reboot into windows, make an ISO, then make the torrent.... but it'll take a bit to get to you all... i'm only gonna give 9k or so up... (i need some bandwidth for surfing, yo!)

I can wait. :rolleyes:

/goes back to playing with windoz.....

WOOT !

this is GREAT NEWS Frank !

Thanks for updating us.

:attn:

ok.... update on Borgix....

Fluxbox ain't working... LOL.... (gives us something to cut out... LOL).... but we may still keep it if we can figure out how come it won't boot into Flux when we tell it to.

have the ISO burned... am making the Torrent in a few minutes.... i can share it with a couple of people at first... but no more until it is up and we can share the bandwidth...

OK..... i have the torrent ready....

IM me on AIM... (link is at bottom of each of my posts and in my profile)..... first 2 to do so will be the lucky ones to get the torrent.... but remember... it'll take 2-3 days to complete... and PLEASE keep seeding once it's up... at least till we have the 100% final version of borgix.....

this torrent is just for people to test it for us and to make sure we have everything working (aside from what i've posted already).

it IS an .nrg file... so you'll need nero (or nero compatible) progs to burn it.

electrorcamd said:
Awesome job!
Obviously I would like to try it. I can seed as well (about 38KB/s upload).

Well.. in a couple of days once this torrent is going 100%.... (is to all 3 people equally).... then i'll give you the link....

remember guys... this is basicvally Borgix version 0.9 ..... it's not complete yet... and stuff may be broken.... (and being at 707Mbs... either waste a DVD on it, or try to overburn a CD)

khiloa said:
psh! That isn't a good answer. :p

This can convert .nrg -> .iso (and of course, there are a jillion other ways)

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11577

nice.....

its also easy to just download the nero demo and use that to burn the .nrg file....

Anyways.... the file is about 1/5 the way done being seeded.....

start postin' here if you'd like to try it! That way, I know who to contact once the Torrent is ready so that you can beta-test this for us!

Again... we can't go super-crazy on this.... This version will likely only be around for 3-4 weeks.... but it is close enough to final that you all should be able to find the major faults with it (aside from what i found in about 30 minutes of playing with it... but some of those are just glitches/the nature of the beast)

Last edited:
I can provide hosting for direct download of the distro, if you would like me to. Just let me know if it's desired. I can grab it from the public torrent and throw it up on the server when that becomes available but torrents are slow for me (I'm firewalled) and it'll be much faster if the distro is sent directly to me.

...Anyways, LMK if you want hosting for people who may not be able to use torrents very well. :)

-n17ikh

edit: /me pokes khiloa... since when have you been a senior? :p

...shows how much I come here now...

thanks for the hosting offer. We don't need hosting/ftp yet... but once the final version (1.0) is out.... we WILL need hosting.... can't run a torrent off a home connection 24/7 ya know....

TollhouseFrank said:
thanks for the hosting offer. We don't need hosting/ftp yet... but once the final version (1.0) is out.... we WILL need hosting.... can't run a torrent off a home connection 24/7 ya know....

hey i run a game server 24/7 on a home connection :/

To install Borgix, use the traditional method of SU in terminal and using "knoppix-installer"

The Borgix root password is borgix

guys..... it may be slow at first.... but here is the torrent to borgix 0.9: http://www.frontiernet.net/~fcbennett/Borgix.nrg.torrent

the 2 guys that got it from me last night.... (only one of them is still seeding... guess one guy had to turn off his compy)..... they had problems connecting initially. I'm not sure if it is because my DSL modem has a built in firewall (it does... and it's a pain in my animal-of-burden)...... or if it was because i had to use Portforwarding to get the torrent to work, or if my ISP is just that slow.... but it finally worked....

we have 2 seeders right now... (me and another guys)..... dont' know how much combined bandwidth you'll have... but as more people hook up and get this for beta-testing and as long as they seed for a while.... the bandwidth should be plenty...

Last edited:
Back