• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can not take anymore of Seagate rma

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

So about no more than two years ago I bought seagate 2.5 100gb hard drive for my notebook. Everything went fine for about eleven months till the day hard drive started corrupting system. Well I send that hard drive for rma. About three weeks later I got hard drive back for RMa. That hard drive went bad within week or two. Next RMa followed, sadly the hard drive from that RMa went bad within a month. Yet another RMA, I was happy with this becasue hard drive was good for about three months. Though about a month ago I noticed it was operating louder and making weird noises. Well it's not a suprise that it went bad.

Making that story short, one orignal hard drive, 3 bad RMA returns, going for 4 RMA.

I thought one RMa would be enough but it still going. Also I never carry that notebook anywhere, it seats on my desk all the time, so there is no way that it can get damaged due to a drop.

Anyways from now on I will stay far away from seagate's hard drives. 5 year warranty big deal, seagate repair quality sucks.

Not to come off wrong, but if you've lost that many drives in fairly quick succession, it's probably not just the drives. There are many more things that can and will destroy drives other than operating/non-operating shock.

Whats the wiring like in your house/appartment? (note: just one possible explination)

It could also be that the notebook is unable to provide enough power, so the hard drive is constantly straining to carry on. Or it could be getting too much...

Snugglebear said:
Not to come off wrong, but if you've lost that many drives in fairly quick succession, it's probably not just the drives. There are many more things that can and will destroy drives other than operating/non-operating shock.
Well that's suprising becasue the only hard drives that fail on me are the one's that come back from seagate RMA. All of them were Certified Repaired Hard drives but none of them lasted as long as the one I purchased first time.

threeme2189 said:
it could also be a heat issue.
True it might have heat but the notebook that used that hard drive had good cooling option and drive was runing all the time around 40c

Since it is a laptop I would check your heat and check that any cooling fans are not broken or working slower than they should. When the next one arrives try running Seagate's diagnostic program. Choose the long test to make sure the drive is clean before you install it.

Also, write Seagate a nice letter explaining exactly what has happened and that you are not happy. They may upgrade you or make sure you get a new (not refurbished) drive. You never know.

Dukeman said:
Since it is a laptop I would check your heat and check that any cooling fans are not broken or working slower than they should. When the next one arrives try running Seagate's diagnostic program. Choose the long test to make sure the drive is clean before you install it.

Also, write Seagate a nice letter explaining exactly what has happened and that you are not happy. They may upgrade you or make sure you get a new (not refurbished) drive. You never know.
If it returns from rma this time out for sale.

Though I have another problem, on this hard drive it says drive manufactured for oem distributor. Do they mean by oem me?

meionm said:
Well that's suprising becasue the only hard drives that fail on me are the one's that come back from seagate RMA. All of them were Certified Repaired Hard drives but none of them lasted as long as the one I purchased first time.

That is possible, yes, but generally there's something else going on under the hood to cause multiple failures in fairly short order. Of the very few IBM drives I've RMAed over the years, the replacements have actually lasted longer than the new ones. Of course two of those replacements were new units, another two were remanufactured. Two of those deaths were also in the same machine, and the cause was later traced to the IDE controller having compatibility issues with the drive (which I discovered while trying to write a Solaris driver for the controller).

meionm said:
Though I have another problem, on this hard drive it says drive manufactured for oem distributor. Do they mean by oem me?

Don't worry about it, that just happened to be what was in the pool when your return was processed.

EDIT: Just FYI, OEM means no box, cables, manual, and no warranty. The warranty from the originally purchased drive still applies, however. This just keeps things straight in their systems.

Back