• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recomandation on CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jagbot

Registered
I'm building a new system, but i still bugs on the CPU,
- Opteron Model 185
- Athlon 64 X2 4800+
- Athlon 64 FX-60

For the beginig i would be air cooling and later (by the end of the year) on water. Not big on gaming but in multi-tasking.
My rig :

Motherboard : A8N-Sli Premium or A8N32-SLI Deluxe
CPU : ?
Memory : OCZ EB DDR PC-4000 Platinum Edition (OCZ5002048EBPE-K)
Video Card : Asus EN7800GTX/2DHTV/256
Hard Disk : Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160 GB (ST3160812AS) (1X) and Western Digital WD3200SD Caviar RE (2X)
PSU : SilverStone Zeus ST65ZF
Case : SilverStone Temjin 07 (STT -TJ07-S)
(Heat Sink Fan (HSF) : Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120) ??
CD/DVD Burner : Plextor PX-716A
(For the memory if not OCZ there is the Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO.)

I plan to overclock the CPU to 3GHz.

Any coment is welcome.

for high end system(multitask) i would go with Athlon 64 FX-60.
here is just a suggestion .
are u planning to overclock one of those cpu to 3ghz.
it hard to get in air cooled solution 3ghz form dual core amd cpu.2.8-2.9 range is dowable
-maybe u can save your money and get one of those low end dual core opetron and overclock it.
u will get with good stepening pretty same result in your overclock
u may even buy advanced cooling system for 500-700$(not realy sure for the price but i think this range is ok) range for subzero temp and enjoy 3000+ mhz system
then for next update u will have good solid cooling
this was a sugesstion
good luck

If you are planning to OC, I see no point in buying a high end CPU. Get an Opti 170 or 175 and it will run just as fast as the high end models.

rseven said:
If you are planning to OC, I see no point in buying a high end CPU. Get an Opti 170 or 175 and it will run just as fast as the high end models.

Word, Im going to be buying a Opty 170.

I third the decision to buy a cheaper cpu and OC it. Unless you are looking to do some intense OC'ing with the FX. Get a Opty 170. I've got the 4800x2 and i see tons of people that are running the same speed as me with a 3800x2. I'm mad i wasted almost $400. Depends since your not gaming and just multitasking an fx i think will be a waste of money. Hell i'd like an FX but is it worth the $800 difference, absolutly not. Unless all your about is benchmarking or doing intense caclulations were evey 100 MHz is gainging you precious time at work. I'd Get a cheap dually and put the other $$ you were willing to spend on a Vapochill LS and whop people who have the FX's on stock cooling.

Opteron $396+ Vapochill LS $850 = $1246
FX-60 $1015 + some type of aftermarket cooling $$(no one would use stock cooler on an FX unless thier stupid)

And with the vapochill you'll be able to use it on any rig you build later down the road, instead of having some old CPU.

mmmm... vapor chill.....

I love to get one of those, except I don't have $1000 to spare.

Kenshiro said:
mmmm... vapor chill.....

I love to get one of those, except I don't have $1000 to spare.

If your considering a fx 60 you got the extra $$$ to spend. No one ever thinks of the economic reason for a phase change set-up. Get higher clocks than people with ultra high end cpu's and be able to use it on your next rig(future proof). You can always stay ahead of the current best. That is unless you've got the FX and the phase. But you can get mid-range cpu's higher faster than an ultra high-end even with the best water cooling.

Back