• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temporarily mounting a Dell 2405FPW in a Mini Van...suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I'm going to be headed up to Winchester, VA this weekend with my family, and I thought it would be interesting to mount my dell monitor in the mini van so I could watch DVD movies, and maybe play my XBOX 360 while driving up there. Although I don't know if my 360 will work, the PSU is rated at 220 Watts, I believe.

Anyway, this is kind of crazy, but has anyone ever done anything like this temporary, or even permanent?

it's a heavy monitor so I wouldn't recommend having it hang from the ceiling so basicly just bring it with the stand and put it on the the side of the bench seats so you need to face the side of the van to see it. Brace it best you can from tipping forward (seatback will prevent from tipping back.

And be careful with it...would suck to have some dead pixels on that thing.

Buy one of those VESA-compatible LCD arms (Ergotron brand would work) and find something to mount it's clamp too. I'm sure you will be able to find some way to do it.
I have a 8" VGA LCD Touchscreen monitor mounted on my dash. The mount for it is drilled into the dash bezel, but the stand has a quick disconnect so it only takes about 2 seconds to remove the LCD.

I'd suggest a mounting arm personally, will give the best hold. Thats to much monitor to just risk toppling over :) (might hurt the kids also)

JCLW said:
When I was a kid we used to look out the windows.

lol, well maybe I'll hook an outside camera up to it so it would be like looking out the windows :p

I know, it does sound pathetic, and I guess it sort of is actually. Oh well :shrug:

Well maybe I just won't worry about it, I don't have enough time to do anything other then set it on the floor now anyway. I'll try using an arm for the next trip :)

Serraph said:
Buy one of those VESA-compatible LCD arms (Ergotron brand would work) and find something to mount it's clamp too. I'm sure you will be able to find some way to do it.
I have a 8" VGA LCD Touchscreen monitor mounted on my dash. The mount for it is drilled into the dash bezel, but the stand has a quick disconnect so it only takes about 2 seconds to remove the LCD.

yeah, but that 8" screen weighs a lot less then my 24" screen, so I dunno how well that would work. But like you said, I'm bound to find some way to get an VESA arm to work.

Fr3@k3r said:
like i said.. go to a place that does custom stereo sub boxes, spend $50 on a custom sub box that will fit your lcd :)

this is going to sound stupid, but what exactly do you mean by sub box?

soundfx4 said:
this is going to sound stupid, but what exactly do you mean by sub box?
Like subwoofers ar mounted in.

I think a VESA arm is your best bet, bolted to the floor. Or you could make some kind of sling to hook it over a front seat.

subwoofer box = sub box

id find a better way to keep yourself busy... play an old game of slug bug, topped off with how many peter built trucks you can count.. bring lots of music... and next, sleep as much as possible..

Xtreme Barton said:
subwoofer box = sub box

DSCN4143_Sub_Box.JPG

they can make em to fit just about anything...

Ok, that' what I was thinking when you said sub box, but I couldn't see how that would help me, that's why I asked. :p

Xtreme Barton said:
subwoofer box = sub box

id find a better way to keep yourself busy... play an old game of slug bug, topped off with how many peter built trucks you can count.. bring lots of music... and next, sleep as much as possible..

ARE YOU INSANE!? lol, j/k I know, it is a lot of trouble, especially for such a short trip. 3 hours might be a while when your doing nothing, but if I actually went through all the trouble to hook up the monitor, it would seam REALLY stupid hah. I'll have to do it some other time, and I'd probably use some sort of arm mount like several people suggested here. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I would agree that it's probably not really worth it for only 3 hrs, while you can get bored in 3 hrs, there's really nothing like going for 36hr non-stop.... now that trip I wish I would have brought a PC.

Personally I think the idea is very stupid. A 24inch monitor weighs a good 30 pounds, that in an accident and you could get seriously...not to mention that a 360 and a 24" Dell monitor are like 1200 dollars...not worth it.

Back