• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New HSF.. need help choosing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n0aH

I need a new HS for my proccesor..
idle temp- 47
load - 65
not good at all... socket 478.
Ive been looking at the big typhoon but it just looks really huge and heavy

EDIT: I have no exashst in my case at all except the power supply... should i put one in the back? heres a pic of the back of my pc... could i mabey mount a fan in the inside right up to those little holes?

thanx everyone!

Last edited:
I'd definitely put an exhaust fan in. If possible, cut out the grille as well, as it's pretty restricting.

The BT is big and heavy.

You could look at the Mini Typhoon, it's a bit smaller.

ok... im a complete noob to modding so how would i cut the grill out and what kinda fan would i get

Depends on how loud you want your computer, I guess.

To cut the grill out, you could use something like a jigsaw, though tin snips should do just fine, that isn't very thick metal you have to go through. Obviously, you do this with the case empty, and you clean up thoroughly before putting your gear back in. You may want to look into putting a grille on the back so nobody cuts their hand on the open metal, or covering the edges up.

As for fan, I am getting the Arctic Fan 12. The spec's look pretty good, so far. If it's quiet you want, the Nexus is a good option. Either way, 120mm fan is the way to go.

ok... im a complete noob to modding so how would i cut the grill out

Get a pair of aviation(green handled/right cut) tin snips, for around $15.00 Start towards the center of the grille and work your way out in a circular, clockwise direction til you get to the outer small holes.. You might want to get a 120mm fan 1st, to mark out the pattern of its hole to the rear of the case.You can get a wire finger guard grill to place on the rear of the case. You'll need to get some bolts and nuts to mount it all.

tin_snips_0006.gif

what kinda fan would i get

The outer bolt pattern is for a 120mm fan.. The larger the fan, more air less noise!
120mm fan Example: http://svc.com/pl12s12l.html
Wire finger guard grill example: http://svc.com/54562.html

Last edited:
ok thanx, whats that finger wire guard your talking about? And do you think i should go ahead and g
et another fan to put on the top?

whats that finger wire guard your talking about?

Kinda like it says... It protects your fingers from the spinning fan blades.. I left you a linky to a pic of it! :)

And do you think i should go ahead and g
et another fan to put on the top

Prob. better to see what you get (°temp) with this mod 1st..

I imagine its just like a 3 pin except it has 4 (ok just checked its a 3pin with an extra pin on the outside... so they are similar looking.
Check This out

nOaH said:
case fans dont need to be connected to your mobo right.. just power correct?

As long as you have a 4-pin molex to 3-pin adapter or you're using a fan controller, that's right. Higher wattage fans will actually burn out your mobo fan headers.

More i look at this fan.. more i think i need something a little bit more powerfull... any suggestions?

Back