• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reducing Sonoma/Dothan FSB from 133 to 100MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x3lda

Hi all,
I know there's a bunch of pin mods and stuff to make 100MHz fsb dothans into 133Mhz fsb dothans. Is there a way to do the reverse?

The reason is this: I have seen most 100MHz fsb dothan laptops use 7 watts (overall) at idle (after tweaking) while most sonoma platforms use 9 watts idling (after tweaking). I have a thinkpad t43 and i want to underclock my 1.86GHz Dothan to 1.4GHz by reducing memory and FSB frequency. Does anyone know if this is done before? Or even better, how to do it?

I have a dell that gets more battery life from a 24000mAH (4 hours) than my thinkpad gets from a 50000mAH (3.5 hours). This is because on normal usage, my laptop consumes 14-17 watts while the dell consumes 10-12 watts despite the fact that my screen is more power efficient.

I know FSB does not amount for the full 4-5 watt difference since my thinkpad has dedicated x300 video but dropping two to three watts will extend my battery life by a good hour or so.

Back