• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9550 > 7900gt IQ poor!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radeon_9550

Registered
Hi all,

I just changed my entire rig and now have a 7900gt compared to my old short lived 9550. After a few seconds in css I notice the image quality is abismal. I have all AA and AF turned on so is this the best I can expect out of this card? If so should I trash it and get a 1900xt?

Radeon_9550 said:
Hi all,

I just changed my entire rig and now have a 7900gt compared to my old short lived 9550. After a few seconds in css I notice the image quality is abismal. I have all AA and AF turned on so is this the best I can expect out of this card? If so should I trash it and get a 1900xt?

you answered your own question

but the IQ isnt abismal on NV cards its not as good as on x1800/x1900 but I would be very surprised if it wasnt better than a 9550...

try a different driver man... the 7800's i had were great in source games

is this image quality thing for real or is it just in people's imaginations? screenshots would help if anyone has any

Yeah, Radeon, check ALL your display settings, AF and AA are only a part of IQ, there should be several other settings.

Plus, that's nVidia now, not ATI like you had before, you prolly just missed some settings.

OC your card dude lol.

why don't you post some screen shots? I find it hard to believe that the 9550 is better than the 7xxxseries cards

I hope this ain't bogus like your thread in the Ati section.

Could you better describe the visual degradation?

dan

Did you remove your ati driver? I don't see how a 9550 can even be in the same league as a 7800gt. Don't forget to use driver cleaner or a reformat when going from ati > nvidia!

Well Nvidias are known for their "soft/blurry" image quality so I wouldnt be suprised. Sell it and get an X1900 if the image quality looks that bad to you.

:bang head dont sell it all man wtf you need glasses or something, before I was a ATi Coke head, until one day I got HL 2 and i was like "This 9600PRO isnt performing very well" so I was going out to buya 9800PRO and then some1 told me to try nVidia, well very doubtful I tried it and I have been hooked ever since...

Buddy I just gotta say this, what you see is what you get, this whole thing about better image quality is a sack of beans... Ive seen the screenshots of the cards side by side and believe me ... if you can notice it while playing games, congrats cuz for all of us normal ppl I cant notice ****.

Nowdays just go for the faster card... and 7900GT (once OC'd) rapes all

Well except not the alternatives that are 300$ more...

6.jpg

Well, that dude posted once, and have not posted again. This could be an april fools joke. Also, AA and AF is recommended by the system to be at 4x and 8x. I set it to 8x and 16x, all the jaged edges start to come out (for CSS). I don't know what game he is seeing all these bad graphics. This totally don't make sense to me. Until he posted some screen shot, I call this BS. How can the 9550 be compared to 7900gt?

Well first you have to have good cooling, after that its pretty well straight forward... however in powerstrip u have to change the max... raise voltage and... yeah, thats basically it

Texture shimmering is a problem on the quality driver setting and under some circumstances it can still be noticed at high quality, but it is very minimal. As to ATi having higher image quality, it is certainly possible but I've never seen any convincing comparison (sans the very valid complaint about texture shimmering). Screenshot comparisons do not seem to indicate ATi over nVidia, and in fact direct comparisons are somewhat difficult to find

http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/item791/big_x1900_4xaa.jpg
http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/item791/big_7900gtx_4xaa.jpg

http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/item791/big_x1900_16x_aniso.jpg
http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/item791/big_7900gtx_16x_aniso.jpg

Certainly not a lot of examples but it gets the point across. The cards produce very similar still images. I haven't seen an x1k 'in action' so I cannot comment on their 'texture shimmering' although a hard review seemed to suggest that the problem does manifest itself to a lesser degree on x1k cards as well.

The fact that ATi cards can do HDR and AA simultaneously and 7000 series cannot does give it one clear advantage in the 'iq/feature' department. nVidia was too busy playing with their private parts to redesign the G7x to overcome this shortcoming.

Hi sorry i havnt replied ive just been on holiday for a few days in Holland. Anyway ive got some screenshots showing why I think the image effect are poor.

This was taken on my ati card which I can no longer use as i broke it when taking it out the pci socket. :shrug:

fps.bmp

Anyway here is from my 7900. Just seems a bit rubbisher to me. :argue:

nvid.bmp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back