• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900gt EVGA Stepup ready! Should I?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumsquad

Just wondering whether or not I should step up my 6800gs to a 7900gt. I'm kinda poor right now, I mean i COULD afford it, but should i? I just upgraded to 6800gs like 4 months ago. Its going to cost about 299.99-210 basically + tax + shipping i think. But i'm not sure. But then i won't b able to use my comp for about 1 1/2 weeks. Should i? :shrug:

Spring quarter for college already started too.

I have the exact same dilema, I got my 6800GS around xmas, my 90 period ends in mid april, I juss got a hold of 250$ (science fair award XD ) and I am on the verge of stepping up, it would cost me like 100 bucks.

Its either that or I buy a 2GB kit to replace my 1GB but even then DDR2 is right around the corner...

I might just hold onto my cash.

You mean the 6800GS? I think if I juss O/C the crap out of it I will be fine for a while.

You sure the DX10 cards are gonna hit this summer? And when they do, will they be backwards compatible with DX9 systems for those of us who don't give a care about Vista and plan on sticking with XP for a couple more years?

Wait as long as u can before u step up. So that the 7900 becomes cheaper then do it. You'd be better off taking advantage of the stepup while you can so you can atleast have an awesome card without wasting the money you spent on your 6800. If that doesn't matter that much, you should wait till DX10 if you can. I couldn't wait. I stepped up, my 7800gt to 7900gt.

PS.
I don't have my 7900GT yet, still waiting. For now I'm stuck with this PCI S3 Virge 4mb Over clocked @ 80mhz core/80mhz mem.

I canceled my 7900GT superclocked step up to get the 7900GTX. Now I'm wondering if I'm doing the wrong thing. The overall price difference including shipping would be $50 for the 7900GT and $202 for the 7900GTX. Maybe I should switch back. I really don't want to spend an extra $152 if the difference at 1280 x 1024 is barely noticable.

651mhz with volt mod.. gtx stok speed.
7900vmod_diag.jpg

use conductive pen or wire or sometihng to connect those two points. Only the yello thing, the other thing is a misatke crossd out. for 1.4v 3d (stock is 1.2)

I decided to stick w/ the 6800gs for another year or two. I don't think i'm gonna upgrade for a while, so when i do upgrade I'll c a big difference in performance. Besides oblivion still runs fine :). !!! I can't beat the mage elf in hero for the arena in imperial city!!!! Jerk takes out like f'in 1/4 of my bar w/ his flare.

wat u using to cool it at 1.4v? air still?

Hey I'm in the same situation and would like to know your thoughts. My step-up request has finally been processed, and it will cost me $28 to step up from a basic 7800GT (445/1070) to a basic 7900GT (460/1320). How does the performance of these two cards at stock compare? It's hard to sort through all of the existing benchmark information because all the cards in the reviews have different stock clocks. I'm mostly concerned about framerates since my monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050. At this resolution, newer games like COD2 get rather choppy with medium-to-high eye candy settings.

Attachments

• eVGA_StepUpSummary.jpg
    eVGA_StepUpSummary.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 113
a 7900gt is comparable to a 7800gtx.
if you voltmod a 7900gt you can get it to run at 7900gtx speeds relatively easy, just need better air cooling.
if your only looking at $30 to do the upgrade i would do it.

mynihilism said:
a 7900gt is comparable to a 7800gtx.
if you voltmod a 7900gt you can get it to run at 7900gtx speeds relatively easy, just need better air cooling.
if your only looking at $30 to do the upgrade i would do it.

Its going to cost him about $100 to upgrade, not $30.

Kenshiro said:
Its going to cost him about $100 to upgrade, not $30.
They were responding to my post. I'm in the same situation, so I added to this thread rather than start another with the same topic. :p It will cost me $30 to upgrade from a 7800GT to a 7900GT.

KillrBuckeye said:
They were responding to my post. I'm in the same situation, so I added to this thread rather than start another with the same topic. :p It will cost me $30 to upgrade from a 7800GT to a 7900GT.

oic....

cool, wanna trade my card for $30 too :santa:, but mine is a freaking XFX.....

Back