• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSL for web hosting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heat

Hi, I am trying to decide if I should keep my data files (work files, school notes, bank info, pics, etc) on a dvd in a safe deposit box at the bank OR store it online as web space (maybe 5 gbs should be a good start).

The data files are already encrypted, though I was curious about the extra security features that the hosting plans offer. If I opt for the ssl certificate feature, would this only apply if I set it on my own domain or from the ftp account at the hosting service - as in a secure way to upload/download data from my ftp account?

The reason I'm asking this is because I don't have a domain name and am not sure if I really need one, since I just want to store my data files in private as in not sharing it on a web site.

Sorry if this is confusing.

Just remember, if you are using a cheap online hosting company they might not guarantee your data. I'd read the whole EULA, just to be sure.

There is always a chance that the server your data is stored on could get hacked, and your data could be grabbed or exposed to the Internet (albeit encrypted by you). You have to trust that your webhosting company does proper backups, and that those backups still work (magnetic tapes used for backup do wear out).

If I were you, I would decrypt the data (lest you forget the password or lose your private key or otherwise lock yourself out of it), burn if to a DVD, and put it in a safe deposit box.

There are companies that specialize in keeping data secure & safe. They're called data storage companies. See if there are any in your area that offer personal plans (these are usually for businesses). Or, if the data is important enough, find a data storage company far away, in case of natural disaster at your location or theirs. Preferably one that offers insurance on stored data.

Thanks.

I will try calling my bank on the prices for their safe deposit boxes.

I was curious what exactly the ssl certificates could be used for. I know they can be used when customers put in secure orders on a site, but does it also cover ftp account uploads/downloads?

And if a primary domain was needed even though I just want the hosting for private data storage. But I guess it depends on the hosting services. I probably will go with hostpc and will try asking their tech support about it.

SSL is Secure Socket Layer. Basically, it encrypts a connection between you and the server, and transferst things (like webpages) over an encrypted connection.

You do not need an SSL cert if you want to do this. Chances are that your only method of uploading will be through unencrypted FTP, which adding an SSL cert to your website will not fix.

Back