• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will vista fix the dual core issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

penixor

I have been really wanting to upgrade and since with vista, comes DX10 so i guess i have to make the jump, but i want to know are they going to mod the OS to allow for a more dualcore friendly environment? I have heard that with XP you have to set certian processes with a certian core to really get the performance increase, im sure that microsoft released something saying that vista will be very dual core friendly but what have you guys heard?

I don't know about Vista, but I have never had problems with my dual core machines and XP. Everything seems to work just fine to me, even when I am doing processor intensive work I always have those extra cycles to do something else. You also need to keep in mind that other programs, not just the OS need to be written to take advantage of the dual cores.

PC#1 in my sig has no issues with Dual Cores either. Some APPLICATIONS are not "Multi Threaded Friendly" (super PI for example), but XP will run on a Dual Core just peachy...

Vista will not be all that IMO (and you wil have DRM to wrestle with :( ). It won't even be out until 2007 anyway! I'm sticking with XP for as long as I can.

:cool:

penixor said:
I have been really wanting to upgrade and since with vista, comes DX10 so i guess i have to make the jump, but i want to know are they going to mod the OS to allow for a more dualcore friendly environment? I have heard that with XP you have to set certian processes with a certian core to really get the performance increase, im sure that microsoft released something saying that vista will be very dual core friendly but what have you guys heard?
It's more the app than the OS. Vista is crap, and so is the hype. XP itself has no problems using DC.

Programs need to be coded to make use of both cores. Its not XP's fault ;)

Mr.Guvernment said:
and nice - calling a BETA O/S crap.....
It's going to remain crap, due to the unrealistic hardware requirements and the tons of DRM.

And no there are no problems with XP and dual cores (as long as you're using SP2)

Soichiro said:
It's going to remain crap, due to the unrealistic hardware requirements and the tons of DRM.

And no there are no problems with XP and dual cores (as long as you're using SP2)

How about keeping the thread crap out of the thread.

Some games have problems running on dual core processors. For example, when playing Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield on my dual core opty, the game is extremely choppy until I set affinity on the process to one core. After that, whichever core I set it to pegs to 100% usage, but the game runs silky smooth.

So, like has been said, its more of an application issue than an issue with the OS.

Back