• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with my opteron 165

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kkem444

Registered
Ok so i recently built a system and im looking to over clock it. Now I am having some trouble. I am trying to find my max cpu speed. I drop my htt to x3 or x2, the cpu multiplier to like x8. Then i set the htt to 300 mhz. My system failed to boot, so i dropped it to like 250 mhz. Giving me a fsb speed of 750, and a core speed of 2000. My system still fails to boot. But if i keep the htt multiplier at x4 i can get the system to boot with a 9x multiplier and a htt speed of 250 (core speed 2250) Why cant i seem to get the system to boot with any other htt multiplier other than 4?

:welcome: to the forums!

Firstly, could you post some specs of your rig? mobo, PSU, RAM.. at a glance, it looks like your mobo doesnt like high htt, but before we look at that possibility, you say the chip is new? have you used a CPU burn in? have you set ram dividers to rule out ram being a problem? is your PSU up to the job of dual cores? are your MOSFETs getting too warm due to the dual core cpu? what about raising voltage? what kind of cooling do you have on that beast?

Just some things to think about :) Let us know how you get on

Careface*

Got an artic cooling heatsink and fan on it. I have not cpu burned or anything. I have tried various voltages and it still wont work. My mobo is an asus a8n sli and i have corsair xms 1 gig ram at 2-3-3-7 timing at 333 mhz. You say it doesnt like high htt, but it DOES boot up with a 4x htt and 250 mhz. But WONT boot with 300 mhz and 3x htt. Why is that? Btw what is a cpu burn in

what memory divider are you runing on your ram? if your ram is pc 2700(333mhz) and you have your ram on a 166(2/3) divider then thats what your problem is, cause at 250 htt your ram is at 166mhz just like it should be. but at 300 htt its runing at 200 might be too much for it

Back