• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox 360 controller on pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Ive googled a bit, but Can I just run to say EB games and grab an xbox 360 controller, bring it home, hook it up to my pc and play away?

Ive killed off my moded original xbox controller...:D

Just double checking...

You can, you'll just need to download the driver from Microsoft. Works fairly well, really.

[Edit] Forgot to list the restrictions. The driver only works for XP SP1 and SP2. So, no 2k for joo. ((Sorry, couldn't resist.))

the XBCD driver is best, and i believe it supports win2k (dont hold me to that). u need to install the drivers b4 u plug the controller in.

If BF2 will let you map functions to controller buttons/axis, then I don't see why not. The choice to do so, on the other hand... ;)

There is currently no software from Microsoft that lets you assign keystrokes to the controller output. There are, on the other hand, 3rd party programs which will do so, which fills out the compatability for controllers.

Personally, though, my favorite PC controller is the Logitech rumblepad 2. One less "axis" than the XBox 360 controller (It has buttons, not analog triggers on the shoulders), but it feels more comfortable and more responsive.

Also, pressing both 360 triggers at once has the effect of centering the "axis" they are aligned to, so you don't get any effect from pressing them both at once. Minor gripe.

Ehhhh...I was looking for something to try with Prince of persia:T2T...And I'd have to go 3rd party with the drivers, I dont feel like reinstallng the game in XP, I alrdy installed it in Win2k....Damn...

Hmmm...Any other control pad recommendations? Maybe the original xbox controler is better? I could pick up another one of those fairly cheap....I do need one with 2 analog sticks..

For the wireless controller couldn't you buy a wireless like USB dongle that uses the frequency as a 360. I'm sure the wired one will get more support on PC games now that you can use it on XP. And I didn't think the Xbox 1 controller you could a attach to a PC do you have to modifiy the connection or does it come in USB also.

I've been looking for a controller for ages one with rumble feature, 2 analog sticks basically like a PS pad.

AngelfireUk83 said:
I've been looking for a controller for ages one with rumble feature, 2 analog sticks basically like a PS pad.
You're looking for the Logitech Rumblepad then. They have a wired and wireless version. Great gamepad.

if you read the post i put up for the drivers, you can use the pad on 98, 2k and xp. problem solved. i think its great. and im sure they will add support for rumble.

A PS2 pad is also good, has force feedback. also, it's very easy to convert over. just get an extension cable and wire it up to a parallel port. I like the feel of the XBox controlelr (the 360 one... the original xbox controller was HORRENDOUS) over the PS2, but i'd probably just get a PS2 one. then again, i already have the adapter :D

SolidxSnake said:
A PS2 pad is also good, has force feedback.
Kiky also makes an inexpensive USB converter for the PS2 controller. Fairly solid performer.

Hmm...I think Ill experiment.....Ill look up the PS2 conversion....

so is there any real difference between the xbox 360 controller and the one that says "xbox 360 controller for windows?"

they look identical to me, except that the one for windows comes with a driver CD and it's $5 more.

Back